Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[video] please USATT rate me or any tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by murraylp2 murraylp2 wrote:

Back to table tennis? LOL
Got any tips or exersises i can do to try fix robotic like forehand? (i probably need more elbow movement too). 

And i found that in the previous match i did far worse by attacking more and missing, then in this one i started close blocking on my backhand more and suddenly i was doing far better by the score board. Is it better to risk the attack than block against players like this (player that i know will attack when i block, and are likely to attack faster than they can and miss eventually)?

Thanks

this is good for lower level play, because after 2-3 loops, they will probably miss or be out of position, but the higher the level, the more consistent everyone is and they will be able to keep hitting those loops until you miss one

i would say keep blocking because it is a necessary skill to have at all levels, but work on backhand attacks in practice until you are confident enough to use them in matches
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 6:01pm

Back to table tennis? LOL
Got any tips or exersises i can do to try fix robotic like forehand? (i probably need more elbow movement too). 

And i found that in the previous match i did far worse by attacking more and missing, then in this one i started close blocking on my backhand more and suddenly i was doing far better by the score board. Is it better to risk the attack than block against players like this (player that i know will attack when i block, and are likely to attack faster than they can and miss eventually)?

Thanks
nothing wrong with some blocking but creating angles and spinning a few will add variety 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 6:02pm
Use more wrist on your backhand.  Like a frisbee motion.  Let the ball come to you and then frisbee away...
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 7:59pm
what's your ranking in uk?
you can make an approximation from there.
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

you're not going to like the answer but it stems from Americans having an inflated sense of ego. 

LOL - a person who calls himself "World's Best All Around Athlete" bashing someone else's inflated sense of ego.

Edited by shaibu - 04/18/2014 at 12:42am
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 12:52am
Originally posted by shaibu shaibu wrote:

you're not going to like the answer but it stems from Americans having an inflated sense of ego. 

LOL - a person who calls himself "World's Best All Around Athlete" bashing someone else's inflated sense of ego.

hi shib

i earned that title by being able to perform more skills from more sports to a higher degree than any person alive.    it's not so much an ego thing as simply a factual thing.

regards
rick
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 12:54am
For the OP:

You just need better strokes.  There's no two ways around it.  You are clearly a smart player and you definitely would be consistent with better technique but you don't topspin the ball on either side and your alternative strokes are not consistently aggressive enough to trouble your opponent.  You could be anything from 1000-1500, depending on how consistent you are against a variety of opponents.  I know 1300 players who do topspin the ball on both sides - they are inconsistent, but when you see their game, you can see how quickly it will evolve into a 1600-1700 game.  You aren't on that path right now, so you need to get on it as soon as you can.  Get a more wrist and advanced backhand and a more consistent forehand topspin to complement your off the table ball feel.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 1:01am

hi shib

i earned that title by being able to perform more skills from more sports to a higher degree than any person alive.    it's not so much an ego thing as simply a factual thing.

regards
rick

That's not a factual thing - that's exactly your inflated ego and not much else. Who did you compete against?

Edited by shaibu - 04/18/2014 at 1:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 1:13am

hi shib

i earned that title by being able to perform more skills from more sports to a higher degree than any person alive.    it's not so much an ego thing as simply a factual thing.

regards
rick

That's not a factual thing - that's exactly your inflated ego and not much else. Who did you compete against?

hi shib

i competed against the charts....it's a decathlon style Skills comp whereby a participant get's points according to how well they do on any given event....just like the decathlon.    so, although you're competing with other athletes and "against" them you're really competing against yourself...

and yes...it's a factual thing.  i am currently the worlds best all around athlete and have had that title for the last 10 yrs.Clap

try not to derail this thread though....

regards
rick
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 1:19am
your comments derailed the thread - I'm just responding to them.

Who else did you get to compete against these charts besides yourself?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 1:27am

your comments derailed the thread - I'm just responding to them.

Who else did you get to compete against these charts besides yourself?

check out the website on your own time noob.

I do the cross examination around here.

regards
rick
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 1:53am
Singling out a religion, group or in this case a country is bigotry at its best and should not be tolerated.
Either you are trying to fan the flames and start a war on this thread or you are a pure jerk. There are 350 million Americans and most are honest hard working people and your definition of a nation is just stupid and insulting.
As far as the worlds best athlete, I checked the website and if you believe that you really are the best athlete, you live in a very small world, with a very tiny, tiny mind.

Here is the link so everyone can see the worlds best athlete competition.
http://www.worldsbestathlete.net/results/
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 2:13am

World's Most Delusional Athlete alright... hahaha ROFLMAO!

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 2:19am
Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

Singling out a religion, group or in this case a country is bigotry at its best and should not be tolerated.
Either you are trying to fan the flames and start a war on this thread or you are a pure jerk. There are 350 million Americans and most are honest hard working people and your definition of a nation is just stupid and insulting.
As far as the worlds best athlete, I checked the website and if you believe that you really are the best athlete, you live in a very small world, with a very tiny, tiny mind.

all alone

the attitude that i spoke about permeates the US culture.  There are plenty of hard working americans but there were enough that were not hard working enough to bring down the entire economy.   This is a fact...nothing made up here.

the world i live in is thriving and active, thanks.

you sound like the bitter one sport athletes who would not dare come out to our skills comp because quite frankly you're just not good at many sports.

we see it and hear it all the time.   those that laugh the most are the ones least able to perform.

we always have room for a water boy though

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/18/2014 at 2:22am
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 3:12am

Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

all alone

the attitude that i spoke about permeates the US culture.  There are plenty of hard working americans but there were enough that were not hard working enough to bring down the entire economy.   This is a fact...nothing made up here.

the world i live in is thriving and active, thanks.

you sound like the bitter one sport athletes who would not dare come out to our skills comp because quite frankly you're just not good at many sports.

we see it and hear it all the time.   those that laugh the most are the ones least able to perform.

we always have room for a water boy though

regards
rick

You are a sad individual and your bigotry is rampant. Fact: the US economy did not suffer due to individual housing owners. I know this might be difficult for you to understand, but you need to understand economics before making a racist statement. Do a little research before spouting your bigotry.
Just be happy that intelligence quotient is not one of the requirements for the worlds greatest athlete hahaha, but I bet you wear a Tutu when hitting that softball, very difficult to do, try hitting a real baseball thrown at you 90 mph, oh I am sorry, that would be something that requires real skill.
Don't try to incite me further, I will not respond to your attempt to cause a flame war behind your itty bitty computer.

Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 4:16am
I feel sorry for the op when all this side tracking rubbish goes on, it's his tread and just asking about himself
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 4:50am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I feel sorry for the op when all this side tracking rubbish goes on, it's his tread and just asking about himself

I think ive started some sort of mass political warfare :/

How ever does the fun sport of table tennis lead men onto fighting about US ego!
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 4:54am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

For the OP:

You just need better strokes.  There's no two ways around it.  You are clearly a smart player and you definitely would be consistent with better technique but you don't topspin the ball on either side and your alternative strokes are not consistently aggressive enough to trouble your opponent.  You could be anything from 1000-1500, depending on how consistent you are against a variety of opponents.  I know 1300 players who do topspin the ball on both sides - they are inconsistent, but when you see their game, you can see how quickly it will evolve into a 1600-1700 game.  You aren't on that path right now, so you need to get on it as soon as you can.  Get a more wrist and advanced backhand and a more consistent forehand topspin to complement your off the table ball feel.

I ussually topspin the ball alot more but I was finding against this oponent (this was the 3rd or 4th set)  blocking consistently on backhand was working. I guess ill push myself to attack more in training. My backhand attack is ussualy very good (far better than many higher ranked oponents) although my forehand is "robotic" (decribed earlier and by a coach). Any tips or routines I can use to fix this robotic forehand? 
Thanks for the advice
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 5:54am

How ever does the fun sport of table tennis lead men onto fighting about US ego!

welcome to mytt.net LOL
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 7:19am

There is a new troll on the forum, that's how.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 7:53am
I would say the easiest way to improve is to focus on footwork. 
Also, in the video - you're not sure about what type of style you want to play. It might be useful to pick one style (initially) and stick to it for a period of time. Positioning and footwork are different for different styles. 

I would suggest start with offensive/aggressive style - basically look to attack or to setup the attack on majority of the strokes. Focus on technique/strategy and not too much on the results.

If results are the priority as BBA said above - focusing on serve and service returns give you the best results.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 8:31am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Also, in the video - you're not sure about what type of style you want to play. It might be useful to pick one style (initially) and stick to it for a period of time. Positioning and footwork are different for different styles. 

I would suggest start with offensive/aggressive style - basically look to attack or to setup the attack on majority of the strokes. Focus on technique/strategy and not too much on the results.

If results are the priority as BBA said above - focusing on serve and service returns give you the best results.

The easiest way to improve is to develop better loops on both sides.  Footwork is probably the hardest way to improve.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:01am

For the OP:

I ussually topspin the ball alot more but I was finding against this oponent (this was the 3rd or 4th set)  blocking consistently on backhand was working. I guess ill push myself to attack more in training. My backhand attack is ussualy very good (far better than many higher ranked oponents) although my forehand is "robotic" (decribed earlier and by a coach). Any tips or routines I can use to fix this robotic forehand? 
Thanks for the advice

I think you should improve your ability to topspin on both sides - nothing that your opponent was doing looked special enough to make someone like you scared if you had the right strokes.  You don't time the ball to generate heavy spin so your strokes are relatively low quality.  Your backhand is consistent for what it is, but as someone who once made a living with that kind of backhand hit, trust me, if you had a real backhand topspin, you would be ending the point with one shot or spin the ball once, get your opponent to pop up the ball, then put it away with your current backhand hit.

To fix your robotic forehand, develop a good forehand loop that generates spin.  This will require you to get your body parts moving synchronously and to have a looser wrist that allows you to vary your contact point on the ball so you can hit the ball early, late or at the top of the bounce with decent quality.  To gain racket head speed, these are some of the levers: feet/ankles, knees, waist/abs, shoulder, elbow/forearm, and wrist. You get those parts moving as fast as possible, time the ball by using your racket angle to hit a point on the ball, make the contact as silent as possible to show that you can impart rotation to the ball, and then start varying how heavy or silent you can make that contact to affect your spin.

Develop a good loop against backspin as the first step on your journey.  Practicing making the ball arc.  You are using looping equipment but not to loop - the way you play, you could just as well use pips.

Below is a video of a modern backhand, which is what you should emulating:

Edited by NextLevel - 04/18/2014 at 9:12am
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:11am

The easiest way to improve is to develop better loops on both sides.  Footwork is probably the hardest way to improve.
Without proper footwork - the only thing that will quickly develop is "bad technique"!

Edited by jrscatman - 04/18/2014 at 9:13am
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:27am

Without proper footwork - the only thing that will quickly improve is "bad technique"!

Sure - so does your coach have to move anywhere to beat you?  I think an honest answer to that question will place the emphasis where it belongs.  This is a racket sport first and foremost so  stroke quality and consistency comes first and to the degree footwork aids that, it is important.  If you can hit the ball past your opponent or to spots where they have trouble returning, that is more important than "footwork".   The problem is that footwork is used as a catch all for many things, some important and which should be built into stroke technique, and some less so, which are used by coaches to make money off students who wonder why they play for 12 years and never improve.  
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:37am

Without proper footwork - the only thing that will quickly improve is "bad technique"!

Sure - so does your coach have to move anywhere to beat you?  I think an honest answer to that question will place the emphasis where it belongs.  This is a racket sport first and foremost so  stroke quality and consistency comes first and to the degree footwork aids that, it is important.  If you can hit the ball past your opponent or to spots where they have trouble returning, that is more important than "footwork".   The problem is that footwork is used as a catch all for many things, some important and which should be built into stroke technique, and some less so, which are used by coaches to make money off students who wonder why they play for 12 years and never improve.  
Why not suggest to learn to play like pushblocker! The question OP asked was how to improve his game - not win. No, my coach doesn't have to move to beat me, another coach beat me sitting on a chair - but do they teach those techniques - NO! Racquet sports - most important thing is footwork - it's probably true for every other sport. To say learn to loop without proper footwork - is plain wrong! 
Butterfly MPS
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:45am
Does having your feet in the right position to  FH loop, right foot back for righties, count as footwork in this debate?  If it does then footwork is essential to looping, or else you learn to loop all with your arm, like I unfortunately did.    Same with small movements away from balls hit at your elbow/middle, is that footwork?  That's pretty important even at low levels.  

If footwork only means crossover steps and flying from side to side then OP should forget about it for now.  
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 9:56am
Personally I though my footwork was pretty good, or atleast for my level. As im young I can move alot faster than older or overweight men in many tournaments. I do agree however that i need alot of work to improve forehand, and my backhand is already pretty good, just need to, as was suggested, use it to attack more than block.

I guess ill try a variety of forehand routines today
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 10:00am
I like the way you play, you are genuinely having fun and that's the one thing you should never change.Wink

Actually the way you play reminds me a little of chubby(Fan Zhendong). I think you should watch allot of his matches and try to emulate his play style and stroke mechanics. Especially on the BH side. Watching him will also give you a better idea for when to block vs when to attack with the BH.

I like the way you use your BH in general. To improve upon what you are already doing I would say you need to be more active with your block. Make it more of a punch block and make more sharp directional changes. Again like FZD. Hard to tell from your vid whether or not you grip switch but I think you would benefit from more bias on your BH as I think this would close the paddle more and make your BH attacking shots more comfortable. Right now the paddle is too open which is, in part, why the ball sails long as there is not allot top spin. If you don't want to change your grip then you will need to bend your wrist more than you already do to close the blade. 

I don't see any major issues with your FH other than you don't use it enough and of course more spin. For the grip on the FH I would suggest a neutral grip and make sure you don't bend your wrist too much. 

Grip switching is not a big deal and can really solve allot of problems with certain stroke mechanics. 

Edited by V-Griper - 04/18/2014 at 10:15am
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Does having your feet in the right position to  FH loop, right foot back for righties, count as footwork in this debate?  If it does then footwork is essential to looping, or else you learn to loop all with your arm, like I unfortunately did.    Same with small movements away from balls hit at your elbow/middle, is that footwork?  That's pretty important even at low levels.  

If footwork only means crossover steps and flying from side to side then OP should forget about it for now.  

That is a good question, and it is my main point.  Those things are largely stroke technique and balance and are important even when you don't move that much.  Moreover, there are players who know how to topspin without them or who develop workarounds.   An arm loop is not consistently powerful, but it is an essential technique when you are late to the ball and can be decent for the right kind of player who can consistently reflect pace all the time with a controlled stroke.  The key is that as long as you have good timing, how you generate racket head speed is about your inner strength and technique and some techniques (the traditional ones) are sounder than others for health, power and flexibility reasons.

Does it limit your ceiling if you can't move to the ball consistently?  Sure and I experience this all the time.  But does that mean that improving your movement is the easiest way to improve?  No.  It all begins with the stroke.  

I would rather that rather than using the abused term "footwork", that people speak about balance and movement.  Balance is important.  Movement is important when you meet a player whose strokes are on the same level as yours as the ball is always going to come back.  Strokes are always important because their quality largely establish your level.  My coach once told me when I was coming up that I hit the ball away from people but that if I had a good stroke, I would actually be able to spin the ball at them and get them to miss.  Initially, I thought he was joking, but as I got better, I understood exactly what he meant.  If I play a player under 1500, I don't even bother waiting for the ball to come back on the table when I loop - bad habit, I know.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic