Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Video] Rate us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] Rate us
    Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:58am
So it's been a while since I've posted a video of myself. I doubt anyone remembers but I use to have a lot of trouble against backspin but I've improved on that. From what I have seen in "rate me" threads, it is easier to understand someone's rating if they play against choppers. So me and my friend Stefan played against 2 choppers/pushers.

The first video is of myself (George):

This video is of Stefan:

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 12:11pm
I only watched the first video (for now).

Of course, as many have said many times, it's very difficult to judge one's ability off of one video of one match. So if my initial rating is not what you expected, please don't take offense. I mean nothing personal. Smile

That being said, I'd speculate that the two in the first vid are in the 1300-1400 USATT range.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 06/17/2011 at 12:15pm
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 12:48pm
if you're in the States why not just join a tournament and get an actual rating? Join under-1200 and under-1400. I'd say you are about 1100, your friend probably 1000, based on the first video only. Nothing personal and no offense if this is lower than you expected.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 12:55pm
600-1200
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 1:19pm
Well, people have told me 1500-1600 in the past. I'm going to see if in July I can record more videos against other opponents.I have more videos on that youtube channel but they are older and I'm better than how I played in them now. Also I don't use short pips on the backhand anymore.

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 06/17/2011 at 1:29pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
liberty.sky View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liberty.sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 2:04pm
1st video:
yellow shirt: 600-800
blue shirt: 500-750
2nd video
dark shirt: 800-1200
white and red shirt: 800-1200

1500-1600 is much too high of an estimate Wink

I'd recommend you to play 800-1200 range see if you can win if you haven't competed before. 
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Xiom Vega Pro / Tenergy 64
USATT 2052
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 2:06pm
i wouldn't put you over 1500 for the following reasons:
- your push mechanics aren't where they need to be yet, needs work on control and height
- you're still late on most of your loops. that's why you're lacking a bit of power in them
- looping against underspin is still a problem sometimes. your safe loops need to be spinnier. right now they're about 40% of what they could be.

all of this is just in my opinion so i could be very far off. =)
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 2:30pm
Well the reason people have told me 1500-1600 is because I have played and beaten people rated 1500 and 1600 but these were offensive players. If a defender is rated 1400 or higher I probably can't beat them.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Ryuspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryuspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:01pm
BTY Michael Maze Fl
FH: Tenergy 64 2.1 Black
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Well the reason people have told me 1500-1600 is because I have played and beaten people rated 1500 and 1600 but these were offensive players. If a defender is rated 1400 or higher I probably can't beat them.

and thats where the rating system gets confusing LOL

Anyways, yes you may beat those 1500-1600 players BUT those 1500-1600 players can beat those 1400 or higher defenders (any higher i think the defender ends up becoming the offensive player lol). 

1500-1600 rated players still are not what is considered consistent both in footwork and in both wings (at least one), and tactics. With that said, they probably make mistakes due to those inconsistencies which you feed off. Therefore, you end up using your opponents spin/speed to your advantage, thus making it seem like you're in par with their level. 

When you take that formula away and have you start the pace towards offensive, you are then judge by how well you do this. Higher level (or just smarter players) will probably utilize this and just wait until you mess up.

So definitely under 1150 until you learn how to open loop consistently (watch the ball brah!), pick your shots and keeping those pushes low.

referring to first vid btw

Edited by mon22 - 06/17/2011 at 3:34pm
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

and thats where the rating system gets confusing LOL

Anyways, yes you may beat those 1500-1600 players BUT those 1500-1600 players can beat those 1400 or higher defenders (any higher i think the defender ends up becoming the offensive player lol).

1500-1600 rated players still are not what is considered consistent both in footwork and in both wings (at least one). With that said, they probably make mistakes due to those inconsistencies which you feed off. Therefore, you end up using your opponents spin/speed to your advantage, thus making it seem like you're in par with their level. 

When you take that formula away and have you start the pace towards offensive, you are then judge by how well you do this. 

So definitely under 1150 until you learn how to open loop, pick your shots and keeping those pushes low. Good luck

referring to first vid btw

Thank you this is very productive. For people wondering what to post, this is it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:32pm
sorry, u keep mentioning urself as 14-1500 but i really don't see that happening.  ofc, based on one video it is hard for us to get a clear answer but i mean, unless u play a LOT better than what u show in the vid i dont see how u can be 1500 (you and ur friend).

notihng personal but i mean thats just how me and most people see it here.

im guessing u'd be about 1000
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:35pm
btw i edited and added more tips!

Dude..your homeboi on the second vid...

idk...but you're better than him LOL

footwork!

Edited by mon22 - 06/17/2011 at 4:11pm
liberty.sky View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liberty.sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:02pm
agree with what mon said. 

i beat a 2000, 1550, 1600 when i was 1200 but it doesn't mean i can do it every time and there was a lot of ppl that beat me in between.

under 1600 is pretty variable i think. 

i gave conservative estimates based on tournaments not individual players. best way to be a solid xxxx rating is to compete a lot.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Xiom Vega Pro / Tenergy 64
USATT 2052
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:12pm
wow liberty.sky  you're a 2000+ player...

how long did that take? lol. I'll get there next year before Nursing school lmao
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:18pm
I'd say 1st person (George) is about 1200 - 1300, and 2nd guy is about 1100 - 1200. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:56pm
Who is whom in each video?  It seems like a frequent oversight when people post Youtube videos of themselves.
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by thepongcast thepongcast wrote:

Who is whom in each video?  It seems like a frequent oversight when people post Youtube videos of themselves.

I thought I made it clear in my post. I'm the one in the green/yellow shirt, my friend Stefan is in the second video wearing white and red, and the other two are Hungarian chopper/pushers and are negligible as they don't care about a rating.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 7:49pm
Rating is funny because it's just as much about who you lose to as it is about who you beat.

A couple of years ago I thought I was definitely improving because of tournament victories over a US1684 player and US1519 player. However, I was in for a wakeup call, as lower rated players continued to beat me.

At the same time, in friendly matches there was a period last year where I was winning 1 out of 3 matches vs a US1600 player and losing 5 out of 6 matches verses a 1300 player.

A year later, in the same friendly (non-tournament) matches, I lose to the 1600 player 9 out of 10 times and beat the 1300 player roughly 1 out of 2.

The higher skilled player adapted and learned my serves and my tactics.

I agree with liberty.sky that under 1600 is pretty variable as to level and ability, in no small part because what makes up a persons strengths and weaknesses is usually pretty lopsided (there are usually glaring holes).

I want to say that above 1600, people are more "fundamentally sound" (not meaning that they have good technique, but rather that they have a better reactions to a wider variety of spins and placements.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:08pm
I don't see how people see sub 1000 as a possibility, I think it's very possible that the OP is in the 1400-1500 range.  Most people below that range have trouble looping backspins with any sort of consistency, but the OP can loop it pretty well even when having to move around.  He's also demonstrated that he can do it from both wings, albeit only on the high and short ones on the BH side.  That's still much better than the typical 1200 player.  The OP also has some good serves, if not terribly deceiving.  I think the OP is solidly above 1400.

Higher than 1500, I'm not too sure.  The OP has trouble looping backspins with power, and there is no obvious sign of placement.

OP, I don't know if you're looking for any sort of tips, but a simple trick to add more power, spin, and consistency to your loops vs. backspins is to start your swing lower.  If you look at the pros, they start their swing with their paddle behind or even past their butt, but you often start it high above the table.  Against weak choppers like your opponent, your swing would work, but against good choppers who put a lot of spin on the ball and don't let it bounce high, your current technique simply isn't gonna work.  In fact, most of the chops you looped back should be loop-driven back like what you often did with your BH.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:36pm
One more thing OP, don't get too hang up on the ratings stuff.  As many have already stated, it's tough to judge a person's ratings by videos.  Instead, use this board to solicit advice, which it seems like you've already put good use to by improving your looping vs. backspin.  People will have different opinions so be discriminant and try to think logically which advice would make the best sense for your particular game.

For example, just a few threads down you'll find my video and my solicitation for advice a week or so ago.  I took some of the advice I thought made the best sense and could be applied quickly, and just a week afterwards I was able to handily beat the guy I've always had a ton of trouble beating(the same opponent in my video actually).
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:51pm
i like dingy's advice. i don't really care about ratings...but i do care about my level of play. as long as i can play as consistent as a 2000 player. i don't really care if the sheet says i'm 1400 (that would be some fun sandbagging). 

i also agree with the above advice. the loops against underspin, you need to start your swing below the table. the ability to accelerate is key when trying to overcome the amount of underspin. since your opponent isn't putting that much backspin on the ball, you'll be able to easily loop drive the ball. 

try not to finish your swing 'over' the ball. always remember to spin up and finish your swing high. this will help you emphasize spin, especially against backspin. 

the two big things i would suggest you work on is: footwork (like me), and your arm speed.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:56pm
Thank you dingyibvs, this is exactly how I look at it. When it comes to placement, I don't have the greatest control but I definitely have a sense of where I want to put the ball and I'm not terrible at it. I think this is best illustrated with the point I won that took place from 0:59-1:16 in the video.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 11:26pm
Everything looks good here but you only know where you stand USATT wise when you play a tournament.  Maybe you're nervous that day?  Too much coffee?  Maybe the weirdo with medium pips both sides shows up and is in your draw group U1200??!   Or you're feeling tight and the 1400 retriever is getting everthing back and you can't just open up and kill it without putting it into the net?!?!  The guy next to you can't stop YELLING when you're in the 5th game and you get hit in the head by the ball on a crucial point.  Or actually, your opponent is yelling?  Even yelling on your nets?  Called a let when the guy next to you yelled?  Discussing the statistical probability of you winning in the 5th game given your performance in the first four games?

No I'm not joking, it only goes downhill from here, this is all kind of best case scenario.

What I see here looks good!  I think some easy room for improvement:

1) don't rush.  When you're about to serve, take a moment, BREATHE, make a plan, figure out what you'll do against different returns, THEN serve.  You rush your service and get caught off guard, waiting 5 more seconds and thinking through the obvious possibilities could fix this in literally your NEXT GAME.

2) don't rush.  When you get a high underspin ball you're too tentative; when you get a *high* underspin ball, you're too hasty.  Hit everything with good feeling and touch, but the high high balls give you more time so load it up: focus on fast racket speed and brushing contact, you'll finish the point.  Especially when your opponent isn't particularly aggressive, take advantage.

3) don't rush.  You're playing a marginal chopper.  Even against 1700 players, people will rarely open against a decent push, just don't push into their power zone on the forehand side.  Do lots of pushing, keep it short or make it wide, deep, and very spinny, nothing in between.  Too many high balls with medium spin when you push, I do it too but just sayin, easy avenue for hitting the next level.

4) Rush: to the next USATT tournament, the nastier the better.  I don't want to hear any whining from you about not being able to warm up, 50% lefty long pips forehand players, people hitting you in the face from the next table, 100 degree heat  / 20 degree cold in the gym, people playing with premade no sponge short pips setups, this next guy who just took you 2 and 0 is going to strip you 50 points on your rating unless you do something about his NASTY, NASTY side underspin serve that feels worse than your 2500 coach, or heavy underspin LOB that you keep putting into the net, or chop block against your nastiest opening loop that you keep netting because you can't adjust, or no spin serve half long that you either drop high or go long with, or...  yeah: STOP WHINING <voice of arnold swarzenegger>

Edited by chronos - 06/17/2011 at 11:30pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 11:48pm
is this a table tennis club? looks like its in a office building.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 12:00am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

No, this is in the campus center of my college.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
totini000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totini000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 1:45am

Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

No, this is in the campus center of my college.
Where do the campus locate?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 10:54am
New York
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 12:29am

I would say closer to 900-1000.  I play against a lot of players that are much better and they are not rated 1400-1500.  You wouldn't stand a chance against them because:

1. I didn't see any nasty serves

2. The rallies seem to be about only ball height and not placing the ball.

3. The chops/backspins were weak but you still had problems with them

4. I didn't see any loop kills just smashing high balls.

5. I didn't see anyone really giving you a challenge.  The pace was so slow.

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 10:02am
I'm not going to guess the rating, but there are a number of things you can work on.  Perhaps some of them were due to the type of opponent you were facing though:
1. Your serves were consistently long. easy to read and too high.  Focus less on your foot stomp and work on the more important parts.
2.  You played a very passive game.  Your opponent consistently gave long serves that looked easy to attack but you just pushed them back (often towards the middle) - giving your opponent an opening
3.  Your pushes were way too high.
4.  When looping, you weren't transferring your weight forward but rather upwards and sometimes even backwards.  This is why you weren't getting power into your loops.
5.   There were a number of times you hit a shot and then stopped as if you weren't expecting it to come back.  This led to being out of position and explains why you missed a number of easy shots.

Not trying to be overly critical as I have some of the same problems, just giving you some insight.  

Edited by hookumsnivy - 06/19/2011 at 1:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic