Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Video] vs. my training partner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] vs. my training partner
    Posted: 04/26/2011 at 4:22am
He isn't really my training partner, not now at least.  We started out our lessons together but we just went our own ways to training plus we got busy with school.  But for the past half year, he surpassed me after beating me many times and started beating others rated significantly higher ~300 points.  But today we had a chance to play and I got it on video.

Before you watch the video, I will say that my serves were really sloppy, much sloppier than usual as I'm in a transition phase with serves.  Learning a new serve so cut me some slack on that.  Everything else...go ahead and criticize.  I believe I counted having my bh touch the ball only once in this match, and it was a push Big smile

BTW, I played mostly control in this match.

http://youtu.be/xmm2uO_-ryA
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

fructu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fructu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 4:41am
Well, first of all I can't tell you who of the two players you are since you haven't specified yet. 

- OMG none of you can't almost put a single first attack into the table!!! I think you miss too much.

- The player in black t-shirt (not the one in blue) simply moves too slow. In fact when he attacks he lets his blade on top for too long. I'm pretty sure that if I were playing against him and I could block his attack he simply couldn't be able to return the ball back becouse of this.

- You both are too slow and play too soft in general. I mean I cannot feel by your body language that you are in tension with your abdomen nor you legs.

And other things but I think these are the most important.
glassmaple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassmaple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:21am
I feel that you have an idea of what you want to do, but your execution is too slow. By being slow in the first move you're already late for the second. Try to up your pace in your movements, as in getting to the shots and immediately pull back for the next one. By having a much faster arm speed to get to shots (pushes, blocks, loops, everything), you'll give the opponent less time to react and consequently you'll have more time to react.

If you do this, all your shots should improve significantly and what you plan out in your mind will actually happen on the table. Your mind's concept of your moment is much faster than what your body is actually doing. A lot of time this timing difference is what makes those horrible playing days where you want to break your paddle in half and just never want to play again. But if you know this, then all you have to do when you're playing horribly and nothing's going in is just to up your movement pace (obviously if your body is super tired that's not going to happen lol)

Well, just a theory. Let me know what you guys think.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:34am
hm, switch to Primorac off- and 2x sriver fx/el 1.9mm...( oh, I forgot, boycott butterfly, use some cheaper equivalents), learn all needed shots, body physics, develop good consistancy, your own playing style, and then go for different bat.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:58am
Originally posted by glassmaple glassmaple wrote:

I feel that you have an idea of what you want to do, but your execution is too slow. By being slow in the first move you're already late for the second. Try to up your pace in your movements, as in getting to the shots and immediately pull back for the next one. By having a much faster arm speed to get to shots (pushes, blocks, loops, everything), you'll give the opponent less time to react and consequently you'll have more time to react.

If you do this, all your shots should improve significantly and what you plan out in your mind will actually happen on the table. Your mind's concept of your moment is much faster than what your body is actually doing. A lot of time this timing difference is what makes those horrible playing days where you want to break your paddle in half and just never want to play again. But if you know this, then all you have to do when you're playing horribly and nothing's going in is just to up your movement pace (obviously if your body is super tired that's not going to happen lol)

If you are talking about some of the 3rd balls that went into the net from being too slow, then it makes a lot of sense.  I feel that mainly my timing has gotten a bit slower as I don't have anyone to practice my big shots with.  When my coach was here, he would consistently block back my kill loops with good control so I can keep going and going.  I don't have that luxury anymore, plus still being full from dinner doesn't help either...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 6:03am
Some times your loops are quite good but they rarely happen. You start your attack with high and slow loop which is easy to kill. Low consistency. Receiving the serve mostly with FH and don't use BH side for it when the ball is going wide. 

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 7:54am
I think your friend is to slow and flat footed but is capable if he would put in some effort, but both of seldom landed any good shots and if 1 of you did the other the other 1 seldom expected it or didnt do much to try and move to get the ball back,
 To me you are young fit and fast but don't really show it yet (I think both of you both are trying 1 big shot) and then nothing no stratagy no hunger no drive, Im over 50, unfit but I would have chased many of those wider balls with ease, i think you need to play someone who can hit the ball back 3 times to make you play better, that boy with the white shirt on the next table would be better for you lol, anyhow get your serves lower and increase the variation and keep practicing, keep doing drills and .... thats all
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 8:03am
Im just thinking that someone video'd me at a turnament in the weekend and I have no idea what I would look like, I am going to get a copy on Thursday so it will be very interesting to see myself as we all have this impression of what we think we are like but disaster in real life, 
 the main thing is you are putting your vids out and asking for advice which is great, I might be chicken to do this myself lol but Im older fater but just try hard without any great skills 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 9:09am
IMHO you guys are trying to copy pro players too much!
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 9:41am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Originally posted by glassmaple glassmaple wrote:

If you are talking about some of the 3rd balls that went into the net from being too slow, then it makes a lot of sense.  I feel that mainly my timing has gotten a bit slower as I don't have anyone to practice my big shots with.  When my coach was here, he would consistently block back my kill loops with good control so I can keep going and going.  I don't have that luxury anymore, plus still being full from dinner doesn't help either...

When i watch you play I feel like your trying so hard to maintain form instead of focusing on the ball thats coming your way. It looks like your wearing 80 lbs worth of clothing. Move your feet and get in position for the incoming ball lol
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:44am
I only watched the first game. You guys really strike a good pose. But it all breaks down after the serve. As others have said, it looks as though you simply need loads of practice.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:47am
ohhgourami, i'm sorry to say this(i know how hard you've worked!), but there's no forearm snap in your FH. You're still using the raising of your elbow as a source of power. You really need to go back and rework your FH. Look at the position of the elbow relative to the body in the 2 videos below. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYIS7VLl6Q - Zhang Jike - Xu Xin warmup

You need to start using the elbow as a fulcrum!

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 12:47pm
safe loops need more spin....that's all i can say =)
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

IMHO you guys are trying to copy pro players too much!
I would agree at this point but still we all have our favorite players and we tend to copy their game style and even inventory. 

It's ok to buy pro's equipment but to do that we have to reach certain level to handle the speed and spin. However, a lot of players use pro's equipment doing 1 good shot out of 10. 

Talking about you, HK655 (Liqin choice) which is 90gr+ and H3 National 40degShocked!!!! is not the easiest combination to play with. Moreover you got max on your BH. First of all, you don't use your bh and when you use it, it goes not into the table. 

Your forehand movement is more of brushing. I would recomend you to work on your FH tecnhique or switch to eurotensors. You definitely need a tones of practice to up your consistency. 

PS. No offence, it is just my opinion about your game. I am not a strong player, probably, a bit better than you but I can point out mistakes. Smile

Edited by player87 - 04/26/2011 at 1:04pm
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:29pm
It's very painful watching you two "practice".

Both of you are too advance for your own good. I agree with the poster above about copying the pros too much. Lay off the youtube videos for a while.

Around 4:12. Good serve form. Kind of reminds me of some Chinese players. You hit both serves in the net. Change serve. Your opponent has an even better serve pose. Ala-Liu Guoliang. He serves into the net.

Too much emphasis on looking good and not on actually making a proper contact and putting the ball ON THE TABLE. That is the objective of the game.

Go back to the basics. Do all the basic stroke drills and footwork drills. Repeat. Repeat some more.

... or you can try bowling.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:39pm

He isn't really my training partner, not now at least.  We started out our lessons together but we just went our own ways to training plus we got busy with school.  But for the past half year, he surpassed me after beating me many times and started beating others rated significantly higher ~300 points.  But today we had a chance to play and I got it on video.

Before you watch the video, I will say that my serves were really sloppy, much sloppier than usual as I'm in a transition phase with serves.  Learning a new serve so cut me some slack on that.  Everything else...go ahead and criticize.  I believe I counted having my bh touch the ball only once in this match, and it was a push Big smile

BTW, I played mostly control in this match.

http://youtu.be/xmm2uO_-ryA

I think you should forget about your nice 'n fancy fh serves for a while and use simple serves like they do in doubles and develop your game from there.  Your movements and basic footwork are still too slow to play the game you'd like to be able to do.  When you execute the serves you were doing in the video, your preparation for the return is simply not there.  3rd ball attack is all about putting "quality" on the ball and your big serving motion severely limits your ability to do so.  To put it another way, you must learn how to walk before you can sprint. 

If I were your coach I would ask you to do simple underspin serves with either your fh or bh with a 6-inch toss from now on, nothing fancy, with emphasis on placement and height (all your current serves are too high for my liking).  At your level your opponent will most likely push it back, so your job is to concentrate in executing a quality ball on their return.  Learn to open against this push with either your fh or bh with quality first... This is the most important aspect of your game.  Forget about everything else.  Once you can do this comfortably, you are well on your way to 2000.  Smile
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:50pm
do this - play with money on the line. That will quickly trim down the fat and frills from your game. 
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:04pm
I am a bit surprised with comments in similar topic of another forum member. I am not sure about the US rating system. But his game is way worse than onhgourami and people are talking about 1700 Rating and consistency in his shots and loops. If I didn't watch the video and just read comments I would think he is a really strong player.  
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:17pm
what are you talking about? That other  guy was estimated at 1100 and he himself admitted he's close to 1100.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

I am a bit surprised with comments in similar topic of another forum member. I am not sure about the US rating system. But his game is way worse than onhgourami and people are talking about 1700 Rating and consistency in his shots and loops. If I didn't watch the video and just read comments I would think he is a really strong player.  

Read the thread you commented. No one said he is 1700.

The difference between the two, the players on the first video actually knows how to put the ball on the other side of the table. No fancy serves. Moves better as well.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:22pm
If you called him on all of his hidden serves, you definitely would win every match :)

It is clear from these games that you both have had the same coach. Your conditioned responses to certain balls are very similar. You both strive to loopkill underspin with a similar stroke. However, your opponent occasionally "scales down" his attack and puts one more ball on the table for the point. He also occasionally opens with big strength from his backhand side. Luckily for you he also makes plenty of unforced errors. Across the match, I think you won all three points when you opened with medium topspin. Oddly enough, during one of the games almost almost all of the points that you won came from the placement and strength of your pushing. in that game, you managed to hit one solid winner, and your opponents unforced errors got you to 11 first. It absolutely terrifies me that you consider him a "control" player!

At some point in the development of one's game it becomes necessary to engage in an honest appraisal of how much time and what quality you are willing to invest in practice. I recommend setting realistic goals based on what you are willing to invest. Because it simply hubris to think that you can play points styled after the professionals without putting in the "10,000 hours" of quality training required to do so.

For example, if your goal is to play short game and 3rd ball attack, wouldn't it make sense to put all of your eggs in that basket?
e.g. have a partner feed you thousands of multiball pushes? And rather than do it blindly, shouldn't the spin patterns and placements of multiball mirror the likely results of what your opponent's second ball would be against your corresponding serves?  Also, you could do lots of push and serve receive drills. I'll leave the specifications of those drills to others, but it would seem that if we only have a limited amount of time to practice, that deliberate practice will serve us better than random practice.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

do this - play with money on the line. That will quickly trim down the fat and frills from your game. 
+1 Clap
I do this sometimes. Really helps put u into concentration mode.

Ok. My opinions on these and all the other videos I watched of you.
Your consistency in everything is very poor. Your opponents do not seem very good, or maybe its that they are trying to be fancy too. No offence but all they would have to do is push and they would win. Either way its practice so they can practice being fancy is they want.
My advice would be to work on FH technique seeing as you use it 95% of the time. I feel its not working for you, I haven't seen such a FH technique before. Your arm is so straight and stretched and you lean on your right. It seems to put you at a disadvantage with being ready for your shot.

I would say that when you get practice time, use at least 30 mins of it doing basic exercises. FH to FH drive. Loop to block. Loop from underspin. Counterhit from loop. and a little loop to loop (maybe even don't bother for now).
I would advise to have a few good practice sessions first though. Give yourself however much time needed to do the following:
FH-FH drive - at least 25 each without missing. (that would be 50 counts).
Loop-Block - At least 10 successful loops. (start SLOW and ONLY after u hit 10, increase speed a little). I would say maybe even go for 10 3x before increasing.
Loop from underspin - 5-10 loops. (focus on spin first so start SLOW. gradually increase) also let your opponent start with little backspin first increasing slightly as you become consistent.
Counterhit from loop - 5-10 let your opponent loop and you counterhit it (asuming your partner will be consistent. If not then no big deal just practice it for a good 10-15mins)
Loop-Loop is not really a big deal as I don't think you will use it much and is probably the shot you will automatically be decent at.

TRUST me this will help u a lot. It might be frustrating a little but it will definitely help. It helped for me when I only play once a week. Getting back into shape with my TT. and if you don't play league then its perfect. Something I shall be doing now that I have finished all my matches in both leagues.

If you would like any more tips just PM me I will be happy to help, give my advice and exercises from my experiences.

Good luck bro

Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:28pm
Ooops, mistake about 1700.  

I am not sure about it but the shots on the first video are high and easy to return. That's why there is kind of "consistency" in their game. Maybe I am wrong. Just my opinion. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

+1 Clap

Your consistency in everything is very poor. Your opponents do not seem very good, or maybe its that they are trying to be fancy too. No offence but all they would have to do is push and they would win. Either way its practice so they can practice being fancy is they want.
My advice would be to work on FH technique seeing as you use it 95% of the time. I feel its not working for you, I haven't seen such a FH technique before. Your arm is so straight and stretched and you lean on your right. It seems to put you at a disadvantage with being ready for your shot.

I would say that when you get practice time, use at least 30 mins of it doing basic exercises. FH to FH drive. Loop to block. Loop from underspin. Counterhit from loop. and a little loop to loop (maybe even don't bother for now).
I would advise to have a few good practice sessions first though. Give yourself however much time needed to do the following:
Loop-Block - At least 10 successful loops. (start SLOW and ONLY after u hit 10, increase speed a little). I would say maybe even go for 10 3x before increasing.
Loop from underspin - 5-10 loops. (focus on spin first so start SLOW. gradually increase) also let your opponent start with little backspin first increasing slightly as you become consistent.
Counterhit from loop - 5-10 let your opponent loop and you counterhit it (asuming your partner will be consistent. If not then no big deal just practice it for a good 10-15mins)
Loop-Loop is not really a big deal as I don't think you will use it much and is probably the shot you will automatically be decent at.

TRUST me this will help u a lot. It might be frustrating a little but it will definitely help. It helped for me when I only play once a week. Getting back into shape with my TT. and if you don't play league then its perfect. Something I shall be doing now that I have finished all my matches in both leagues.

If you would like any more tips just PM me I will be happy to help, give my advice and exercises from my experiences.

Good luck bro

LOL

I would do these fh practice things, but I got no one that can block correctly!
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:43pm

LOL

Thats ok. He can improve too then
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

+1 Clap

Good luck bro

LOL

Practice as well as you can until they can block your loops back, sometimes it helps to loop against someone who blocks with different speed and spin on their blocks
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:58pm
i always find your videos funny. you seem to always make the same mistakes and you never seem to take anyone's advice. i'm pretty sure the "2000" player from your other video is more than qualified to practice with you. it's not like you're landing many shots on the table anyways.

i think you are very disillusioned regarding the strength of your loops. you obviously aren't putting much spin on the ball otherwise they'd be hitting the table. also, i feel like anyone playing against you will gladly let you loop the ball past them knowing that you only make about 1 out of every 7-8 loops at best. almost any player can beat you just by pushing the ball

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 3:05pm
These guys are at the level where they have not learned how to rally, they are playing each stroke as an entity, pre- determining their attacks without adapting to last second changes, that is why they are inconsistent. They look the part, but their stage of developement cannot be hidden. More time on the table needed.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

If you called him on all of his hidden serves, you definitely would win every match :)

It is clear from these games that you both have had the same coach. Your conditioned responses to certain balls are very similar. You both strive to loopkill underspin with a similar stroke. However, your opponent occasionally "scales down" his attack and puts one more ball on the table for the point. He also occasionally opens with big strength from his backhand side. Luckily for you he also makes plenty of unforced errors. Across the match, I think you won all three points when you opened with medium topspin. Oddly enough, during one of the games almost almost all of the points that you won came from the placement and strength of your pushing. in that game, you managed to hit one solid winner, and your opponents unforced errors got you to 11 first. It absolutely terrifies me that you consider him a "control" player!

At some point in the development of one's game it becomes necessary to engage in an honest appraisal of how much time and what quality you are willing to invest in practice. I recommend setting realistic goals based on what you are willing to invest. Because it simply hubris to think that you can play points styled after the professionals without putting in the "10,000 hours" of quality training required to do so.

For example, if your goal is to play short game and 3rd ball attack, wouldn't it make sense to put all of your eggs in that basket?
e.g. have a partner feed you thousands of multiball pushes? And rather than do it blindly, shouldn't the spin patterns and placements of multiball mirror the likely results of what your opponent's second ball would be against your corresponding serves?  Also, you could do lots of push and serve receive drills. I'll leave the specifications of those drills to others, but it would seem that if we only have a limited amount of time to practice, that deliberate practice will serve us better than random practice.

He is a control player when he plays other attackers.  His consistency at blocking is better than people ~1500 so he will win.  But both learning tt together, I know his weaknesses as much as he knows mine.  His shortgame is weak so I exploit that to its fullest.  To be honest, I was lazy while playing him so I didn't make the effort to do too much attacking.  BTW, my opening loops have a lot more spin than it may seem.  And against an opponent is just waiting for you to open big, it is not the best idea to give a big drive when a spinny loop that he can't block back on the table is 10x better.  He knows where I land my big loops while 2000s don't.  Funny isn't it?
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:03am

He is a control player when he plays other attackers.  His consistency at blocking is better than people ~1500 so he will win. 

I am super confused. Can he block or not block?
I don't recall your training partner blocking much in the match?
Is it because you didn't hit the ball to him?  Or because he failed to move to the ball?
I am confused.

And disregard fruit loops comments about what you want from a blocking partner. You want someone with a solid enough block that they can "clean up the ball" and provide you with the same shot to repeat again and again until you can develop consistency. You don't want them varying speed and spin and throwing off your timing/learning process.

This little story reminds me of the last time I had the chance to hit with a  "great blocker" where I could practice re-looping (i think i made it as far as 6-8 times in a row, i don't think i had the consistency to do ten). It was a 1900+ player who had very good control. And don't get me wrong, the guy can certainly rip the ball, but he also happens to have the consistency and control to place good ball after good ball.

I figured it made more sense for me to ask him to practice something specific than to play a game. Playing a game is a waste of his time; at least blocking my loops, he gets to practice his control against erratic amounts of spin.[
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic