Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who plays Chess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who plays Chess
    Posted: 01/03/2020 at 4:32pm
I know a few of the juniors play regularly but not so much the adults...i just started again but more so to collect sets as i found out not too far from me is a distributor so just like EJing for blades...i am going to EJ for nice sets starting at the $100 level, yes it's with our monopoly monies but it's a start LOL  in the mean time i'll practice online and every so often the computer lets me win YAY ConfusedEmbarrassed
*sigh*
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 5:42pm
I recommend FICS to play online https://www.freechess.org. The interface I use is Winboard but there are plenty of them https://www.freechess.org/interfaces.html That chess server is the oldest on the net (their source code was once publicly available and that's how ICC was started) and the site is similar to mytt, a lot of knowledgeable people and a lot of trolls and abusers...

To train at chess, https://chesstempo.com is fantastic, the best on the net to me (but I am not an authority): tactics/middle of the game training is fun, you get a rating and the software proposes you a position taken from official games between GM and close to your rating. There are plenty of comments for each position so that's the nice social side of it, the discussions about the positions and the related tags and variants. There is MUCH more to it though.

If you want to make a parallel with tt and chess, I won't discuss it because it's so wrong. Instead I find backgammon and tt much closer in spirit. For those who play backgammon without being much into it, that site is gold, https://bkgm.com/ that one too http://dorbeldaily.blogspot.comhttp://www.fibs.com is their main site and the interface I use is JavaFIBS-1.0.11 (Java required). There are super strong bots and people as well.

edit: maybe this belong to the "Off Topic" sub forum?

Edited by stiltt - 01/03/2020 at 5:52pm
avova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 7:35pm
Isn't lichess.org way better? 
It might not have bughouse, but it should have everything else.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 7:57pm
I think Next Level plays to a good standard.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 10:02pm
I went on Chess.com today as I have not played in 15 years or more. the computer killed me!! Maybe I will play again, thanks for the idea.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by avova avova wrote:

yes; even Carlssen plays there, played before for sure, I just get stuck with fics by habit and because there are enough people to get a beating.
The web interface of Lichess is super fast and premove is supported for bullet games so there is nothing that I'd miss from fics, really.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

I think Next Level plays to a good standard.
yes, close to uscf 2k; also benfb, above 2k. Anybody else?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 11:23pm
Lol I used to be quite decent at Chinese chess, nowadays it's just incompatible with my work, I don't exactly want to crack my brain after a long day at work hahah
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 12:20am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

If you want to make a parallel with tt and chess, I won't discuss it because it's so wrong. Instead I find backgammon and tt much closer in spirit. 

Chess and table tennis do have some parallels - I am a Fide Master at chess.

The Service in table tennis is the opening in chess... if you serve well, you get a predictable return - your opponent may have some choices, but, your serve can limit those choices. 

The return is the defence chosen by black in chess, will you try to flick, or push short? Or push heavy to a corner? Will you play the French defence, the Caro-Khan or the Sicilian?

The 3rd ball is similar to the plan chosen during and right after the opening - at high levels this means up to move 15-20 (or 25), it also depends on the serve / opening, which type of 3rd ball / plan you are able to execute with reasonable chances of success.

The 4th ball, is same as black's strategy to reply to your 3rd ball, block, punch block try to counter-loop the high spinny ball? In chess, will you play for castling opposite sides and pawn storm or castle same sides and try to equalise gradually?

The 5th ball is the start of the endgame, and any subsequent balls represent endgame technique - counter attacks, endgame tactics and so on. 

The rubbers and blade setup are equivalent to the characteristics of a player, is he sharp and risky? or is he slow and positional, is he a counter attacking player? a defender, an attacker, or an all rounder?

There are so many parallels, which is why many many chess players love table tennis, it provides them with good physical exercise and cardio which helps improve stamina for chess games (which last 6 hours or in some cases even more.)

One big difference is: In table tennis, if you make a mistake, you lose a point...in chess if you make a mistake, probably you lose the game :)

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by avova avova wrote:

Yes, Lichess is great, chess24 is good too, then chess.com and playchess. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 3:55am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

I went on Chess.com today as I have not played in 15 years or more. the computer killed me!! Maybe I will play again, thanks for the idea.
Stuck on level 8 40 defeats now,can match it till endgame

Edited by firetack - 01/04/2020 at 3:56am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 11:46am
I used to be 2400 chess in my youth. Now, guestimate 2100; -100 for age, -100 my opening preparation is obsolete, -100 lack of practice. If I give up tt in favor of chess, may play at 2300, which will make me fourth in my suburb of 22K people.

BTW, the existence of draws in chess changes the mindset a lot; playing white I may very well make a draw versus the 2400 high school students.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
AmiciSumus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiciSumus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 3:07pm
Hi,
I also play chess, but not so active as before.
In December was I in London and played a tournament in London Chess Classic.
My Nickname have also something to do with Chess!
Amici Sumus!
Xiom Ice Cream AZXi FL
- FH ALC: Butterfly Dignics 2.1 Red
- BH ZLC: Butterfly Dignics 2.1 Black

Xiom Ice Cream AZXi FL
- FH ALC: Adidas P7 Max Red
- BH ZLC: Rasanter R53 2.0 Black
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 10:58pm
Chess is too much like work for me.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2020 at 2:00am
I know for sure in one way Chess and TT are alike... "The win/Loss" ratio is about the same LOL
*sigh*
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2020 at 2:03am

you know there are different play levels you can choose to your advantage...think of it as "boosting" LOL
*sigh*
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

you know there are different play levels you can choose to your advantage...think of it as "boosting" LOL
Chess.com offers free memberships. Why play against a computer when you can play against humans all over the planet? Chess24 is also a very good site that offers free play.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2020 at 1:25pm
I play. And am worse at chess than table tennis (1130ish daily chess on chess.com and 1790ish USATT-unless I am disbanded as well)
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2020 at 4:33pm

Lichess & Chess24 for me , chess is organised after 5 or 6 games you get a grading so you can enter tournaments at your level with a chance of 1/2/3 placing .
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2020 at 3:47pm
I have 2000 FIDE and ~2150 blitz rating on chess.com. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2020 at 10:37pm
For all of you interested in chess, I am an international organiser in Malta:

I have an event on the 24th - 30th of May. If a few table tennis / chess players attend, I could easily arrange for a table tennis competition, training sessions, or friendly play during the mornings at a local table tennis academy, with excellent flooring / lighting etc.

If interested just PM me. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2020 at 11:54pm
I play at anIntermediate level. I like to play bird opening because it leads to interesting positions. 
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:49am
I play occasionally on lichess. Like it.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 11:50am
Do any of you except for Clarence and Chicho Ficho play "speed chess"? 
This would be similar to playing TT where you have to see multiple moves before choosing one...TT would be that much quicker of course *maybe* imo.
*sigh*
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:39pm

Do any of you except for Clarence and Chicho Ficho play "speed chess"? 
This would be similar to playing TT where you have to see multiple moves before choosing one...TT would be that much quicker of course *maybe* imo.
Speed chess or blitz is much faster than table tennis. I know, I play blitz every day.
Cheers! 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 2:08pm
I only knew it as speed chess where times were set ahead of play... didn't know they had designated names for each timed play  lol then again when I left TT it was still legal for same coloured rubber sheets on either side 🤪
*sigh*
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 1:54am

I only knew it as speed chess where times were set ahead of play... didn't know they had designated names for each timed play  lol then again when I left TT it was still legal for same coloured rubber sheets on either side 🤪

LOL, you must have left TT long long ago :)

Competitive chess is always timed since 1851 when the top English player (and one of the top 5 in the world) Howard Staunton refused to play his move in a totally lost position, claiming he was "thinking". He thought so long, the game had to be abandoned without a result and the need for a time control became obvious. Overstepping the time control leads to a loss no matter what the position is (even if you are winning), unless your opponent has only the King in which case the game is drawn as it is impossible for him to beat you.

There are 3 official names for time controls:
Blitz - 5 minutes and under
Rapid - 5+ minutes but under 1 hour
Standard- 1 hour or over (in cases of players above 2200, 90 minutes and over)

There is also an unofficial but widely spread time control mainly due to the internet, where you cannot clumsily drop peaces over...

BULLET chess - in which the game must be completed in under 2 minutes, most players play 1 minute if they want to play bullet. This means each side has 1 minute to complete the game, whoever runs out of time loses. 

So definitely Bullet chess is faster than any other sport I know of :)

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 8:20am
magnus carlsen does!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

magnus carlsen does!
Fischer used to go from time to time to Reisman's Table Tennis club in New York.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

Fischer used to go from time to time to Reisman's Table Tennis club in New York.

Indeed you are right:

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic