Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eucalyptus oil for speed glue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 2:10pm
I tried the Eucalyptus oil and the only thing i don't like is the smell, seems like it will never be gone once it's applied

any one has experiece with Tea tree oil? it seems very similar, e.g both can blow up and kill gems, and both are natural "voc". It may work too.
Sponsored Links

alindo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 3:45pm
Hi there,
For those of you really interested in knowing more about this subject I found these article that explains the properties and components of eucalyptus oil. I haven't read it yet, but while browsing I saw some interesting things. I hope it's useful for some or most of you. This is the link, it's a MS Word document.
http://www.oilmallee.com.au/docs/BARTON.doc
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 4:10pm
I love the smell. It is WAY better than harmful chemicals.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
manzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 4:44pm
Alindo, Good lookin' out on the article.  Eucalyptus oil contains 1,8-cineole which has a very similar chemical structure to d-lim, without all that cancer causing goodness..err, badness, cancer is bad .

YEO-FH=Tenergy05, BH=Blit'z

MaLinSC-FH=VegaPro, BH=Blit'z
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Here is what happened with Nano Cannon,,,
     Three coats and the rubber was a tube. This only took about 30 minutes. Then I put one coat on the topsheet. The dome started going the other way. So fast you could watch it go. In 2 hours, the sheet was almost flat. I put one more coat on and it went into a reverse dome so it looked like a taco. The next morning I put more on the sponge and in ten minutes the sheet was flat again. Then I glued it on the blade.
     It is MUCH faster and the spin is better. It clicks VERY loud.
     I had the same thing happen with Energy.
     Looking at the sheet, I think you might have to use 2m sponge to stay legal. The top and sponge really swell up.
     Different rubbers will probably react differently to this stuff but so far, I think it equals any tuner out there. Smile

Was your Nano Cannon brand new or used?  If it was used, was it heavily glued?  I am just curious if the effect you saw was strictly due to the Eucalyptus oild or due to the combination of the oil reacting with the glue that was already there.  In addition, it was amazing that the E-oil would be absorbed through the topsheet and straighten out the rubber the way you described it.  Sounds very interesting.  I will have to try it soon.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 7:14pm
Hi Flicker,,,
     It was used but never speed glued. Same with the Energy. Tried it on another Energy now that had been EEII and the results were the same. I am waiting for some new rubber to come in and see how it does on Venus.
     It is amazing to be able to see the sheet change shape. I mean, you can watch it move! The stuff soaks into topsheets like magic. Dissappears completely. The sponge expands slower but the topsheets , things happen like "right now".Smile
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 10:03pm
Hi All! I was reading comments about Eucalyptus oil, I bought some today. Several hours ago I put some coats of oil on my old Bryce, and I was surprised about the result. It is really works! But do not put the oil close to the edges, because it's very hard to glue. I have a robot in my house and I was trying my old Bryse with the eucalyptus oil and it works. I don't have any idea how long the rubber will be soft. I will let you know later. The oil is $5.60. It smells ok, but you can buy it in orange, or lemon scents! The speed optimizer is $25.00. You can save lots of money. I have a picture of the rubber with the eucalyptus oil on it, but I do not know how to download pictures to this forum. If somebody wants to see it, I can send an e-mail with the picture. Good luck! Were%20Number%20One 

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 10:08pm
Hi railroad,,,
     What kind of glue did you use. I had no problem with mine.Smile
C.Y. View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.Y. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 10:37pm
It looks like it really works.  Could you guys report back how long the speed glue effect could last?

One other thing, the guy that found this method refers it as 355 oil (his screen name on ttball forum is 355).  Can you guys name this method after him (even though he is still alive Smile)?   
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:20pm
@Hookshot & railroad

Did you guys dilute the Eucalyptus oil with something else before applying to the rubber or just directly out the bottle in its original form?  Thanks.
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:28pm
original
C.Y. View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.Y. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:41pm
Do not dilute it with anything and make sure the one you get is 100% pure Eucalyptus oil.

PingPangQiu, you haven't told us where you can buy it in China.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:47pm
pharmacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:48pm

There is a pharmacy at Tsim Sha Tsui

C.Y. View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.Y. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:51pm
Oh, you are in Hong Kong, not mainland China.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2008 at 11:54pm
I move around from my mother and fathers place
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 12:01am
Do not dilute the oil, put it on as is. Do not put the oil close to the edge of the rubber (like i said, its really hard to glue the edges because the oils soaks it up and the edges coil in). I have the speed glue and Rubber cement. I only applies the rubber sement only. I have not tried the speed glue yet. If you want, you can put it under a press for about 20 minutes for best results.      Tongue                                  
thnx

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 12:05am
@C.Y. & railroad

Thanks for answering my query.  I read this article published by NIH and learned a bit more about the side effects and warnings on the usage of Eucalyptus oil as well as it is a known allergen.  Bear in mind that these side effects and allergies were reported from people actually ingested the Eucalyptus oil.  Since members here who really have used Eucalyptus oil indicated that it dries up fast, that led me to believe it might be volatile (just like the speed glue).  So I am concerned.  Since I gave up using speed glue because it's a health hazard, I don't want to get into another product that might be equally hazardous.  Any more information about this Eucalyptus oil that anyone can provide is appreciated.  Thanks.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 12:10am
I know health conscious people who use this oil like a vapor rub. They try to breath it in to improve their health. I'm no doctor, but tree sap that has a nice fresh smell should be okay.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 12:11am
I know health conscious people who use this oil like a vapor rub. They try to breath it in to improve their health. It's sold as an essential medicinal oil. I'm feeling pretty good about it compared to the glues.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 12:53am
Eucalyptus oil may be dangerous if taken by mouth.
It is written on the bottle warning label.
It is healthy to smell and...  put it on the rubber!
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 2:40am
do you aply the oil to a new rubber sheet or has to be primed?
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 3:12am
Hi Geno,,,
     I take mine straight up!!!Smile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 3:35am
So can our new "ritual" be sniffing the rubber before serving?LOL
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 9:59am

Hi All,

Here is my experience with Eucalyptus oil so far. I was REALLY excited about its potential after reading this thread yesterday and decided to try it out for myself. I went and bought 2 1-fl bottles of pure Eucalyptus oil made by NOW foods for $7.50 at GNC last night. I came home and peeled off my Stiga Optimum MP rubber from one of my blade and tried to clean up the glue at first. I used Orange Goo Gone spray and it worked pretty well in terms of breaking up the glue. Just make sure to not have the Goo Gone get onto the top sheet. Some Goo Gone got on the top sheet of my Optimum MP rubber and caused some "bubbling" effects (however that seems to go away after I washed it off with dishwashing detergent). Anyhow, after washing the rubber with dishwashing detergent to remove the Goo Gone and to cleaned off the remaing glue, I dried the rubber with paper towels and proceeded to brush on the Eucalyptus oil (straight from the bottle - no dilution). I really did not see any doming occur after waiting for about 10 minutes. I tried to dry up the sponge even more with paper towels thinking that it was still wet from being washed earlier. I then applied the 2nd layer of E-oil, waited a little while with no doming effect seen, applied the 3rd layer, I saw just a little doming on the rubber and was being hopeful that it would dome more overnight. I woke up and checked on the rubber at 6:00 am this morning and I was disappointed to see that the rubber was completely FLAT. I decided to rub some E-oil on the topsheet to see what happen. It did get dried up (not sure through absorption or evaporation) quickly and the rubber shows just a tad of doming around the edge. I then decided to give the sponge another application of E-oil. To my disappointment, it seemed to have no effect on the rubber. No doming effect what so ever. So� after 4 layers of Eucalyptus-oil on the sponge and 1 layer on the topsheet, my Stiga Optimum MP rubber is FLAT like a tortilla just came off of the press at Don Pablo's Restaurant. :((

Sorry for the long post but my experience with Eucalyptus oil so far has been rather disappointing. I am not sure if it was because I washed the rubber before I treated it with E-oil and some of the water soaked into the sponge and that caused the E-oil treatment to have no effect. I thought if there was any water left in the sponge it would have dried up and evaporate overnight and I would see some effect from the E-oil when I applied the 4th layer this morning. Anyhow, I will try the E-oil experiment again on my previously-EE2 treated STAG rubbers tonight after my practice to see what happen. I will not be washing the rubbers this time to rule out that factor. I will share with you the results. Cheers to all.

Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Hi GenomicsK,
     This stuff does not have to dry. It soaks into the sponge or topsheet in just a few minutes at the most. Maximum dome has happened in less than 30 minutes for me on the rubbers I used.
     I glued one sheet on 10 minutes after I applied the oil. It is different than EEII, thinner. Does not seem to reduce the bond from glue.
     The brand is "Now Foods"
     The brand should not matter much if it is double distilled.Smile

Hi Hookshot,

The Eucalyptus oil that I bought at GNC last night was labeled "steam distilled" and you talked about using "double distilled" Eucalyptus oil. Do you think that could possibly be the reason why I did not see any doming effect on my rubber? And if so, ist it because "steam distilled" E-oil is less potent than the "double distilled" E-oil? Just some theoretical thoughts/questions I have at the moment. Any thoughts?

midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 1:14pm
Flicker:
You can do it after a wash but make sure it's dry. use a hair dryer or something. IMO, using an iron to remove glue is by far the easiest. just make sure you set the temperature to low.

the oil is a VOC therefore it drys up really fast. you need to cover up the sponge with a food wrap sheet or put it in a sandwitch bag immediately after you apply the E-oil to the sponge, otherwise it will evoperate before being absorbed by the sponge. patiently wait 10-15 minutes and you should see the rubber dome like crazy(well, depend on how much u apply).
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 1:26pm
"Eucalyptus oil" isn't enough specificized: It's a huge difference whether it is pure or some blend. Everything in 10ml bottles is probably pure, but 100ml or even 500ml is most probably a blend, especially when you buy it in a common store. Please take a close look at the bottle.
C.Y. View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.Y. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 1:46pm
Flicker, 355 said Eucalyptus oil is good at removing old glue too.  Try to use it instead of Goo Gone.
midway2k is right, try to use plastic wrap to cover the sponge after treatment.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2008 at 1:49pm
Hi Midway2k - Your explanation on the quick evaporating rate of the oil seems to make sense.  I will make sure to use the food wrap or sandwich bag when I experiment with it again tonight.  Just curious if others like Hookshot and Tommyzai are also using the same process.  By the way, what do you guys use to apply the oil?  I bought a small brush at Michaels (arts and craft store) and it seems to work well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic