Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 4:01am
I am pretty sure you should not tune the topsheet of tacky rubbers with PO I think it screws with the tackiness quality. Also I agree with Seguso. after tuning H3 Neo with PO the speed pretty much becomes unplayable for for the intermidiate to advanced players. But, with that being said after you have played with it for a couple of days the super speed effect dwindles a bit. I have not retuned my rubber since my post up above and the rubber plays great. It seems to me that with the PO the sponge got softer and now retains the tune effect. I can do some crazy loops now and forehand flips are like effortless. Hope this helps

now....to buy a second setup just in case for the Open
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max
Sponsored Links

yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 8:48am
I have tuned two moon sheets with PO (only on sponge) recently.
(Again, thanks to the information in this forum and special thank to Peter79)
I used speed glue to glue the rubber onto the blade. After 1 week of play, I notice that the cut sheet on the blade has shrinked. At the moment, I can see wood at the edges of the blade. Overall, the degree of shrink is not substantial.
So, the lesson learned here is, we should wait for the sheet to completely dry. For my next tuning sheet, I will wait for atleast 1 week (7 days) before I glue and cut the sheet.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 8:53am
Hi yylik, I suggest you to cut it first before you tune it. So it will not become smaller, wait until 5 days, it will shrink back to normal or it will become 1 mm larger which I feel it doesn't really matter.

Edited by peter79 - 07/24/2011 at 8:53am
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 9:28am
Thanks Peter. I will try that for my next moon sheet.
Spikie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 1:13pm
hello guys,

can you say me which tuning stuff are you using?

what is the exact name and where can i buy it?

with best regards

Spike
Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 4:15pm
this is what I use:

you can buy them at any general hardware store
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 8:37pm
So how many layers would be optimum for Hurricane 3 and Hurricane 3 NEO max thickness, and how much would it stretch? Would the effect last for around something like 10 days? I can't seem to find anythign mentioned about exactly  how many layers would be optimum on Hurricane.....
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 10:26pm
2 layers of parafin oil and 1 layer of baby oil is enough.
Parafin oil only without baby oil is not good enough.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 12:05am

What would happen if i only put paraffin oil?

Butterfly Viscaria FL

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 12:15am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Hi yylik, I suggest you to cut it first before you tune it. So it will not become smaller, wait until 5 days, it will shrink back to normal or it will become 1 mm larger which I feel it doesn't really matter.

If it shrinks back after 5 days, what is the point of paraffin tuning in the first place then? Won't it just be like the original untuned rubber?
Butterfly Viscaria FL

pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 12:23am

what is that the baby oil does?? that the po doesnt?

sorry the answer is prolly ib this huge thread but to lazy to read it all

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

If it shrinks back after 5 days, what is the point of paraffin tuning in the first place then? Won't it just be like the original untuned rubber?

What I want to do is to make a more lively H3 National. faster than untuned.
Waiting for 5 days is to make the tuning effect minimal, but better than not tuning at all.
It last forever if you put baby oil on it.

If you remove the waterbased glue from the sponge, you must retune it again. If not no need to retune.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by pokerpete pokerpete wrote:

what is that the baby oil does?? that the po doesnt?

sorry the answer is prolly ib this huge thread but to lazy to read it all

PO doesn't make the sponge softer and bouncier (H3)
Only faster.
Baby oil change the brick feel chinese rubber, become softer and livelier.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Spikie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 4:57am
i think paraffin opens the pores and baby oil fills them. Thats may be the reason why the sponge is more dynamic.

Spike
xavier0513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xavier0513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 7:34am
Hi all,
There might already been discussion in this read. But it is a huge posting, so I need your help.

A lot of discussion concentrates mainly on the use of paraffin and baby oil. Would anyone be kind enough to express the optimum layers of oil applied to the top sheet and the sponge. 
DO you need to wait for hours or even a day for the the oil to penetrate into the sponge?

Thank you. 

Edited by xavier0513 - 07/27/2011 at 12:11am
DrFeelGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 5:06pm
Baby Oil and PO is the same thing - just that Baby oil is as pure as PO can be with vapour pressure 0.0 -> undetectable. Baby oil is much thicker than lamp oil and the effect holds longer.

What has been said about lamp oil not making the sponge softer is not correct. While it doesn't soften the sponge within the first 2-3 weeks it will soften the sponge *considerably* over time eventually making it so soft that it needs to be replaced. Also: Lamp oil contains other harmful substances and the PO in lamp oil is not really pure PO i.e. *it's very dangerous* and contains illegal VOCs (this is the very reason why lamp oil tuned rubbers play great in the first week until the VOCs have fully evaporated. The spin and feeling will then be gone, but the speed stays. Tuning multiple times with lamp oil will eventually get you an completely uncontrollable rocket launcher. Baby oil has a different effect. It doesn't really soften your rubber but it increases the catapult effect noticeably and makes your rubber more bouncy, *thickens the sponge* and makes your rubber faster. Note that the effect of baby oil lasts many weeks. Consquently, if you overdo the tuning you can trash your rubber.

None of this is close to real speed glue as far as spin/speed/control goes unless you tune with lamp oil with lots of VOCs and buy new rubbers every other week.
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 2:55pm
Tenergy 05 is a good rubber for use paraffin?
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Tenergy 05 is a good rubber for use paraffin?

IMO, I will not do that on a new sheet of T05.
I tuned on chinese rubbers/sponge only, because these sheets (chinese sheets) usually feel "dead" when new. For example, I felt that my moon sheet (without tuning) lacked of speed, not lively and simply "dead". After tuning with PO, it is "alive" and more bouncy/ increase in speed.
For Tenergy rubbers, you will not have this problem ("dead" when new)and the sheet can be played immediately when you glue onto your blade, so tuning is not necessary.
However, some had experimented on worn/old sheets and they claimed that the PO increases the grip and etc.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 7:09pm
Anyone tunes NEO H3, TG2-3?
Any increase in speed & spin?
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 10:48pm
I use paraffin oil only to expand rubbers that shrink and no longer cover the blade. Too many rubbers shrink.

Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2011 at 9:18am
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Anyone tunes NEO H3, TG2-3?
Any increase in speed & spin?

I tune my NEO H3 Provincial version. It may be a bit faster then the commercial version right out of the package but it still feels dead as all hell without tuning. I feel it adds more speed then spin(might be just me because I think all the versions have an ample amount of spin) and when your tuner of choice runs it's course....you will know.... I have not used baby oil but I like the effect PO gives this rubber.  hope this helps
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 6:54pm
so i went to shoppers drug mart to buy some baby oil..... and i was looking at the different brands and seen that some are make with mineral oil and some are made with paraffinum liquidum

i ask the pharmacist what the difference was, she said two different drugs same result...... but of coarse that is if we are trying to make a babies bum softer!!

so which baby oil to use?????  mineral oil based.... or paraffin based

i'm thinking mineral oil bcuz i would already be using P.O. lamp oil

and another question.... do you mix the baby oil in with the P.O. or do you apply in separate layers to the sponge?

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 11:19pm
I am using Johnson's baby oil small bottle 50ml. I read " Pure mineral oil" on the label.
MrTTriplex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTTriplex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2011 at 12:16am
Johnson's baby oil small bottle, gives more spin and speed to rubber?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by pokerpete pokerpete wrote:

so which baby oil to use?????  mineral oil based.... or paraffin based

i'm thinking mineral oil bcuz i would already be using P.O. lamp oil

and another question.... do you mix the baby oil in with the P.O. or do you apply in separate layers to the sponge?

1. Baby oil that is entirely made up of parafinum liquidum.
2. Don't mix them, just use baby oil. It's much easier to apply, not as dangerous and the long time effect is the same i.e. more catapult.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 9:57am
I have a few questions for the experts:

1) is it normal that a rubber tuned with kerosene ( = paraffin oil = lamp oil) smells of gasoline?

2) if I tune one Hurricane III with kerosene and another one with baby oil, after 3 months will the two rubbers play the same? (I mean equal to each other, not to how they were 3 months before)

3) How long will it take until the two rubbers are regular, in the sense of VOC emissions? (provided I have tuned with just one layer of PO or baby oil, avoiding to create a reverse-dome and stretch the topsheet)

Thanks

Edited by seguso - 08/04/2011 at 10:15am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 10:21am
Baby oil (100% parafinum liquidum) has 0 VOC and is undetectable.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by DrFeelGood DrFeelGood wrote:

Baby oil (100% parafinum liquidum) has 0 VOC and is undetectable.

how sure are you? Cry

where did you read it? Thanks
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Chris P. Bacon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris P. Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 10:01pm
Should i tune/boost and speed glue a new Skyline TG3 blue sponge sheet?

I have RC, a lot of lighter fuel, Goo off, lacquer thinner and clear unscented lamp oil 
Chris P. Bacon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris P. Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 10:19pm
Dude! i mixed a bottle of RC(n-heptane) with lacquer thinner(toluene, acetone,methanol etc.) Goo off( Xylene, acetone) and Ronsonol lighter fuel(naptha) and lamp oil for tuning. I know its very ilegal and harmful but i hope it i'll be badass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic