FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The great China vs Euro loop myth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

The only thing you can control is the speed, attitude and direction of the paddle at the moment of contact.  It doesn't make ANY DIFFERENCE what happened before or after the ball leaves the paddle 2-4 milliseconds.  Convex, concave, straight arm or chicken wing, it makes no difference if you are standing on your head or just throwing the paddle and happen to hit the ball just right.  If the speed,attitude and direction of the paddle are the same at contact the result will be the same if the balls direction, speed and spin are the same.

What is all boils down to is the paddle imparts an impulse ( force times dwell time ) on the ball. This impulse has a magnitude and direction.  If the impulse is the same then the ball will respond respond in the same way given it has the same speed, direction, and spin.   All this talk about speed, throw and spin really boils down to the magnitude and direction of the impulse.  

TT is still subject to the laws of physics.  How is that for sucking the fun out of an argument?
In a moment of letting my brain run in neutral I got sucked in to that convex/concave argument many months back.  

I think that while playing today, I realized that this POV is quite wrong and in a dangerous way too, because in practice what you do before and after contact does affect how the ball is contacted.
I agree that the stroke before does affect the impact but there are many strokes that could make the same impact, the same impulse with the same state at impact.  Only the state at the time of impact matters.  If the state is the same the results will be the same.  The ball doesn't care what happened before impact. I disagree with the after impact part.  It has no affect on the ball.

Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 5:02pm
Whatever swing you use, the most important thing is to time the shot correctly and to remain in good balance afterword.  If you can do those two things you will play well, and there is lots of range for individual variation.  I'm pretty sure the Chinese are not dominating because they all have a certain way of approaching their forehands, to me me a lot of them look different from each other.   I think it's because they all move better, are fitter, and have a higher level of competition to cope with on a daily basis, starting from the time they are about five years old.  Also, it seems to me that the kind of swing some of them have would come pretty naturally for anyone who played with Chinese rubbers all their life, which also suggests that if it doesn't feel natural for you it's not worth trying to emulate it.    
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 5:03pm
I think the only thing chinese about the way chinese players loop the ball is their skin color and what their rubber says. The better I get at the game, the more I see how much I have over-thought certain things and the more I see that this is myth. Every player has a repertoire of different loops. People used to just say that the straight arm loop was the chinese loop. But I see europeans do it just as much. I think individual style changes much more than "chinese vs european" Each chinese player loops the ball differently just as each european player loops the ball differently. Some europeans loop more like certain chinese players than other chinese players do. It is directly a result of the person's style, and not their nationality. At the end of the day- everyone just moves their arm forward and up to loop the ball. Now if you wanna talk about the "chinese game" vs the "European game" then I think that holds a little bit more water. Their foundation of thinking is all similar because it comes from the same coaching. It's cultural. But stroke is strictly personal style. The only cut difference is their rubber material, which has an effect on how certain balls are played, and how the ball comes off of the racket or reacts to the rubber, but it's not different enough to really matter much. One could say that Ryu Seung Min has a really heavy chinese style loop, but he always used bryce and now tenergy. Guy still loops with a lot of action and power. Hell, the fact that the chinese play shakehand now should be enough to prove there is no seperation. That was originally a totally European idea. 
Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 6:36pm

^+1

^Qui Yike who was a student of Kong LH.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 6:55pm

I agree that the stroke before does affect the impact but there are many strokes that could make the same impact, the same impulse with the same state at impact.  Only the state at the time of impact matters.  If the state is the same the results will be the same.  The ball doesn't care what happened before impact. I disagree with the after impact part.  It has no affect on the ball.

The primary reason I disagree is that a stroke forms a trajectory.  Therefore I think the idea that only state at the time of impact matters is wrong is that the stroke is not just about state at time of impact, but about the buildup and the follow through.

So why did I come to this realization?  Two things:

1) I have been looping inconsistently of recent and I happened on Sunday to hit some mid speed loops against one of my opponent's blocks.    Today with my hitting partner, I was looping again and we went into a drill where instead of hitting his popups, I had to loop them all.  Then I realized that usually, when I tried to spin the ball, I hit the ball at the back or at the top of the ball with a vertical drive stroke.  I was far more consistent when I used a stroke that arced around the ball.  It then came to me that I was "covering the ball" and that for some reason, this made a huge difference in consistency for my game versus just contacting the ball at the back with a rapid tangential stroke.

2) I am able to serve heavy backspin on my forehand but I was having problems replicating the same success on my backhand side.  I asked my coach why and he told me that I was curving around the ball and pulling it upwards on my forehand but that on the backhand, it seemed that I was just trying to brush the bottom of the ball rather than going around it.  This insight fixed the problem instantly.

My point here is that maybe on some strokes, the dwell time is so short that shaping ("covering the ball") is not as big a deal but I am skeptical that these strokes can be easily separated from the ones where shaping is not a big deal because the stroke is a path and I think that a follow through is a part of that path, while it seems to me that you think that a follow through is not.  I agree that a follow-through can be excessive but that is in part determined by the impulse/force in stroke already.

Therefore, based on my experience and logic, the separation of contact from follow through is dangerous for didactic reasons and may not even be fully correct in reality because a stroke is not just about contact but in part about the path before and after.  After all, you don't have path without plotting the trajectory before and after!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 11:47pm
I always have this question about looping technique but not just between Europe and China, but more the difference between all the top players, as their video is readily available.

ML's style is like a boxer punch, arm and wrist in "L" shape.  
ZJK's arm is relatively straight with big swing.
Timo, Maze and Mizutani have compact strokes from waist and bend wrist, arm wrist in "Z" shape.

Even Chinese players like ZJK and ML have totally different stokes coming from the same team and head coach. The same applies to the top 3 Chinese penholders as well. I believe all looping styles have its place depending on your position to the ball and distance from table. So practice them all is not such a bad idea until you found one that suits you best.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 11:50pm

2) I am able to serve heavy backspin on my forehand but I was having problems replicating the same success on my backhand side.  I asked my coach why and he told me that I was curving around the ball and pulling it upwards on my forehand but that on the backhand, it seemed that I was just trying to brush the bottom of the ball rather than going around it.  This insight fixed the problem instantly.
I believe you can curve the paddle around the ball when you are serving and this is sometimes very desirable.  The ball is moving slowly then serving and this makes it possible. When I watch William Henzel do his FH tomahawk you can see he does it a little differently from others.  You can see he is curving the paddle around the side and sometimes the bottom side of the ball.

My point here is that maybe on some strokes, the dwell time is so short that shaping ("covering the ball") is not as big a deal.
Just how much do you think you can cover the ball in a few milliseconds.  Just think in how many degrees in how much time and tell us if you think that is possible.

but I am skeptical that these strokes can be easily separated from the ones where shaping is not a big deal because the stroke is a path and I think that a follow throughd is a part of that path, while it seems to me that you think that a follow through is not.  I agree that a follow-through can be excessive but that is in part determined by the impulse/force in stroke already.
[quote]

[quote]
Therefore, based on my experience and logic, the separation of contact from follow through is dangerous for didactic reasons and may not even be fully correct in reality because a stroke is not just about contact but in part about the path before and after.  After all, you don't have path without plotting the trajectory before and after!
OK, I believe the follow through is import but only the path at impact matters for the current ball.  Obviously if I make a big swing there will be a big follow through but after impact the follow through doesn't affect the current ball.  The follow through will affect the next ball if I don't get back into position.

I also think the swing to impact is important in that it helps with consistency.   That doesn't affect the fact that only the state at impact matters too the current ball,  there are many strokes that will result in the same state at impact but some strokes are smoother and will have faster recovery times than others. 
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 12:48am
Chinese coaches from the PRC system all have their own way of teaching topspin attacks.  But they all primary focus on shoulder rotation and paddle position at the beginning and end of the stroke.  As you get better they move you away from the table for mid distance and long distance loop rallies.  So the progression of topspin attacks goes from topspin counter hits, drives, off the bounce close to the table loops, mid distance loops, long distance loops.  Along the way they teach about how to rub the ball and where to rub the ball in various situations.  So by game time hopefully you remember the "ideal" form you learned in practice and can use them the games.

non Chinese coaches that I've had experience with don't really think in those terms of progression in skill level.  They just do a few drills, play a lot of practices matches, and hope you pick it up along the way.  So lots of experimentation and self discovery on the players part.  For example my kid was recently taught the third ball attack off a serve by a non-Chinese coach.  However, he has no idea how to read the spin off the 2nd ball to start the 3rd ball attack.  So it succeeds less than 50% of the time.

Both the Chinese coach and myself concur that it's an improvement that he's trying to kill the 3rd ball.  But we both agree his understanding of paddle angle and reading the ball are lacking preventing a higher percentage success rate.  Which goes back to the Chinese coaches favorite saying "I could teach you that, but can you use it in a game?"

To me it seems like a lack of knowledge capital on how to develop players.

Like when I take my kids to swimming lessons, there are coaches, not world record holders or international competitors.  But they have a structured systems to teach kids how to swim.  Breaking down the basic strokes and breathing technique to an "ideal" they teach the kids.  As they master the skills, and past their swim test, they advance to the next class.  However, the USA is known to be a powerhouse in international swimming so this knowledge capital on coaching the "ideal" exist at the most basic level.

Edited by power7 - 10/03/2012 at 12:51am
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:30am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

"I could teach you that, but can you use it in a game?"
The question is good.  However, I would ask, "can you show me how to win?"

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 6:19am

OK, I believe the follow through is import but only the path at impact matters for the current ball.  Obviously if I make a big swing there will be a big follow through but after impact the follow through doesn't affect the current ball.  The follow through will affect the next ball if I don't get back into position.

Agreed, but I think that it is hard enough to separate the path at impact from the follow through that you should consider it one stroke.  I think that the explanation from some professionals may be confusing or incorrect for "covering the ball", but that there is real merit to covering the ball, and it isn't found in a superfluous follow through, but in the kind of trajectory the paddle will take towards the ball when that follow through is accounted for.

I also think the swing to impact is important in that it helps with consistency.   That doesn't affect the fact that only the state at impact matters too the current ball,  there are many strokes that will result in the same state at impact but some strokes are smoother and will have faster recovery times than others. 

I think the travel path being tied to contact and the beginning of the follow through means that it is an oversimplification to say that many strokes will have the same result at impact unless they in essence have the same travel path.  In fact, impact is probably affected by the paddle path and a curved paddle path might have different effects on the ball than a purely vertical tangential paddle path with the same contact point.  And if the convex or concave nature of the travel path affects the ball differently, follow through is more important than you seemed to give it credit for initially.

Again, the disagreement might not be substantive, but I came back to this because I have met one player who saw no point in "covering the ball" (though he is the weakest table tennis coach I have played), but I think it is because the concept of covering the ball is really more about the paddle path which should be more curved to give the ball more rotation/spin.
Cybershape Carbon
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:17am

"I could teach you that, but can you use it in a game?"
The question is good.  However, I would ask, "can you show me how to win?"

He'd probably just breakout the camera for a hitting session and show you all the mistakes you made on tape.  Then point out how long and tedious the path to success will be.  If you're still interested sign up for more lessons and club membership.  All the while lamenting how USA plays ping pong and he teaches Table Tennis.  He loses more adult students that way...LOL
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:33am
Quote Again, the disagreement might not be substantive, but I came back to this because I have met one player who saw no point in "covering the ball" (though he is the weakest table tennis coach I have played), but I think it is because the concept of covering the ball is really more about the paddle path which should be more curved to give the ball more rotation/spin.

Depends on the ball one is hitting.  Most curved paddle swings are caused because the player is making micro adjustments as they are swinging.  Usually trying to return balls on the edge of their skill level.  

If you return an easy ball for your skill level, you know exactly what swing and place of contact should be for the desired return shot.  As the topspin gets heavier and faster, more experience players still know how to return those balls while their swings are still compact during training.  Less experience players start guessing and their swings become erratic as they "guess" at the contact point, trajectory of the ball, and paddle speed for a return they want.

Sure they take a "full" swing at the ball during a game.  But they are usually trying to finish up the point.  If you're calm and skillful enough, a simple block or punch block return to the proper placement will result in an easy point.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:36am
power7, pnachtawey tends to disregard the human element of the game ALWAYS. don't mind him. he just posts here to feed his ego. all the while im still waiting for him to post a video on how he loops. he hasnt posted it for about 3-4 months now since i challenged him? or maybe he purposedly not post it because maybe he is still practicing his stroke or he is afraid his stroke will get criticized =)
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 10:34am
Not really, I just haven't play competitive TT in 20 odd years and got back into TT when my kids picked up the sport and I got them a coach.  I already know I'm past my peak and can only play my top game for less than a full set.

I wasn't aware I was being challenged to anything.  Weird crowd, if sharing information becomes I need to see a video.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 10:42am
You're right, Yogi_bear!

The anonymity aspect on this forum is comical.

TT is a relatively small community and the skills we have to learn and the understanding we have DOES depend on one's skill level and experience. It is very difficult to understand the thoughts of someone when their skill level is not clear. It is even worse trying to correct or suggest a different point of view. Some are just very thickheaded and defensive during discussions.
Back to table tennis...
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 11:11am
The point is that if only the state at impact truly matters then it is possible that Chinese and Euro Loops can achieve the same result because at impact the state is the same.

BTW, if you swing with either a concave or convex stroke then what happens if you hit the ball a millisecond early or millisecond late?   The ball will go into two different directions depending on whether you hit the ball a millisecond early or late because the angle of the paddle is changing.   So if the difference in direction is 1 degree from hitting the ball at the correct time then how much difference does 1 degree make over 1.5 to 2 meters to the net and 3 to 4 meters to the end of the table?  Do the math.  Can any body say they know to the millisecond when they are going to hit the ball?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 11:36am

Depends on the ball one is hitting.  Most curved paddle swings are caused because the player is making micro adjustments as they are swinging.  Usually trying to return balls on the edge of their skill level.

Curved strokes are to place more spin on the ball.  Whether this is safer or riskier is context dependent.

If you return an easy ball for your skill level, you know exactly what swing and place of contact should be for the desired return shot.  As the topspin gets heavier and faster, more experience players still know how to return those balls while their swings are still compact during training.  Less experience players start guessing and their swings become erratic as they "guess" at the contact point, trajectory of the ball, and paddle speed for a return they want.

Sure they take a "full" swing at the ball during a game.  But they are usually trying to finish up the point.  If you're calm and skillful enough, a simple block or punch block return to the proper placement will result in an easy point.

Again, curved strokes often result in more spin and this increases safety and consistency if the shot is made properly.  Remember, the curved stroke is not about the size of the stroke, but about the trajectory.   Yes, there are alternatives to spinning the ball.  My point is that when teaching a student how to loop

1) focusing on the point of contact and not the complete trajectory of the stroke can lead to less spin being generated than is possible (see my example on heavy underspin serves)
2) focusing on the point of contact and not the complete trajectory leads to underestimating the importance of follow through and what its true meaning is (see again my example on heavy underspin serves).

It is point 2 that led me to repost here: I realized that when people say "cover the ball", what I think they really mean is arc your stroke.  For those people who learned by imitating better players, some of this probably came instantly.  But for people who try to think through what they do, the "cover the ball" aspect of a stroke sounds like wasted motion.  I now have an explanation for why it is not.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 11:49am

The point is that if only the state at impact truly matters then it is possible that Chinese and Euro Loops can achieve the same result because at impact the state is the same.

BTW, if you swing with either a concave or convex stroke then what happens if you hit the ball a millisecond early or millisecond late?   The ball will go into two different directions depending on whether you hit the ball a millisecond early or late because the angle of the paddle is changing.   So if the difference in direction is 1 degree from hitting the ball at the correct time then how much difference does 1 degree make over 1.5 to 2 meters to the net and 3 to 4 meters to the end of the table?  Do the math.  Can any body say they know to the millisecond when they are going to hit the ball?

This depends on how different the paddle angle and speed is at the various contact points in a millisecond and I don't think you have shown it is that different.  If it is relatively the same, then the result should not be that different.  But building the follow through into the stroke guarantees that the full stroke will have a certain arc that is more likely to generate spin on the ball than a flat or driving motion simply because more of the stroke's force will contribute to circular motion than to forward motion.
Cybershape Carbon
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 1:03pm

Curved strokes are to place more spin on the ball.  Whether this is safer or riskier is context dependent.

Again, curved strokes often result in more spin and this increases safety and consistency if the shot is made properly.  Remember, the curved stroke is not about the size of the stroke, but about the trajectory.   Yes, there are alternatives to spinning the ball.  My point is that when teaching a student how to loop

1) focusing on the point of contact and not the complete trajectory of the stroke can lead to less spin being generated than is possible (see my example on heavy underspin serves)
2) focusing on the point of contact and not the complete trajectory leads to underestimating the importance of follow through and what its true meaning is (see again my example on heavy underspin serves).

It is point 2 that led me to repost here: I realized that when people say "cover the ball", what I think they really mean is arc your stroke.  For those people who learned by imitating better players, some of this probably came instantly.  But for people who try to think through what they do, the "cover the ball" aspect of a stroke sounds like wasted motion.  I now have an explanation for why it is not.
Depends what you are trying to do with the ball.  Most people start by learning counter hitting.  It's a light topspin stroke.  Then loop drives over the table, focusing on starting and ending position of the paddle, while moving around the table during multiball.

Afterward you learn off the table loops.  Continuing with the loop drive off the height of the bounce, then loops below the height of the bounce.

Each drill basically teaches the student to make contact with the ball from the top, and have enough paddle speed to generate friction necessary for a topspin return while moving around the table.  First they learn the loop as the ball is rising towards them, then they learn the loop as the ball is falling away from them.

Good coaching will break this down so you will have a compact, repeatable stroke that can be used in a game situation.

If you have a stroke that works for you, and convex vs. concave helps you visualize the stroke, that's fine too.

I've only heard "cover the ball" in situations of off the bounce blocks against heavy topspins, as to keep the paddle closed and press the ball down to keep it on the table when it goes over the net.

Edited by power7 - 10/03/2012 at 1:07pm
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 1:37pm

Depends what you are trying to do with the ball.  Most people start by learning counter hitting.  It's a light topspin stroke.  Then loop drives over the table, focusing on starting and ending position of the paddle, while moving around the table during multiball.

Afterward you learn off the table loops.  Continuing with the loop drive off the height of the bounce, then loops below the height of the bounce.

Each drill basically teaches the student to make contact with the ball from the top, and have enough paddle speed to generate friction necessary for a topspin return while moving around the table.  First they learn the loop as the ball is rising towards them, then they learn the loop as the ball is falling away from them.

Good coaching will break this down so you will have a compact, repeatable stroke that can be used in a game situation.

If you have a stroke that works for you, and convex vs. concave helps you visualize the stroke, that's fine too.

I've only heard "cover the ball" in situations of off the bounce blocks against heavy topspins, as to keep the paddle closed and press the ball down to keep it on the table when it goes over the net.

People who received "standard" training as juniors (and maybe adults) and are healthy probably know far more intuitively about the game than I will ever know because their bodies have assimilated a lot through repetition.  Me, I just learned to hit the ball well as a child and never played the spin game until last year.   My knees do not let me do full drills so I can't develop the technique of a regular player - I am tall and do have relatively decent power without my knees so want take the spin game as far as I can before going to the dark side.

In order to accelerate my development, I'm trying to understand the physics of the game in a way allows me to replicate what others are doing and teach it to people.

Moreover, I heard a lot of different schools of coaching (I've worked with three coaches over the past year to different degrees, all in the 2100-2300 USATT range, and of course, everyone in a good club is willing to give you their own advice) and all have had slightly different philosophies for the forehand and the backhand so being able to understand the physics helps in understanding what is essential and what is not (since unlike the junior, I don't have the time/patience to play 1,000,000 balls and get a feel for everything). 

THe "cover the ball" school says that when looping, you should adjust the arc of your stroke after contact. If I am right this is not quite correct and is Pnatchwey's point upon which I thought he was dismissing the value of doing so - what they should really say is that your arc of your stroke (And maybe your wrist/forearm as well) should be such that this is the way you  start and finish....
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

power7, he tends to disregard the human element of the game ALWAYS. don't mind him. he just posts here to feed his ego. all the while im still waiting for him to post a video on how he loops. he hasnt posted it for about 3-4 months now since i challenged him? or maybe he purposedly not post it because maybe he is still practicing his stroke or he is afraid his stroke will get criticized =)

Do you mean power7 or Pnatchwey?
Cybershape Carbon
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

Originally posted by vali vali wrote:

Yeap, Boll and Maze are strong northern , germanic ,  viking  players with enough power from the wrist to generate spin and speed.
They do not need to use the whole arm for the loop. Big smile
Stop making excuses for them: their 'loops' are abominations. Smile

Yes. 

As a matter of fact I am sure that Boll himself would rather have a chines loop. It's just not easy. Chinese loops not only looks better, but is more powerful too. The same person will always have more power if he opens the arm in the elbow. But it's more difficult to hit the ball, so many people abandon a good stroke only to make sure they hit the ball. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 3:10pm
Quote THe "cover the ball" school says that when looping, you should adjust the arc of your stroke after contact. If I am right this is not quite correct and is Pnatchwey's point upon which I thought he was dismissing the value of doing so - what they should really say is that your arc of your stroke (And maybe your wrist/forearm as well) should be such that this is the way you  start and finish....

Covering the ball might means make contact from top, which is the proper contact point for a loop.  The rest is paddle speed, causing enough friction between the ball and the rubber to generate spin.  You can start with loop drive over the table at top of the bounce (which is more about shoulder and arm motion) and move onto the flicks over the table on top of the bounce to practice wrist motion in generating spin and pace.

I would suggest working on an overall game and strategy instead of particular strokes.  If mobility is an issue then I would suggest a close to the table hitting style.  More about flicks, drives, blocks, punch blocks, and smashes to finish off the point.

Edited by power7 - 10/03/2012 at 3:11pm
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 3:38pm

Covering the ball might means make contact from top, which is the proper contact point for a loop.  The rest is paddle speed, causing enough friction between the ball and the rubber to generate spin.  You can start with loop drive over the table at top of the bounce (which is more about shoulder and arm motion) and move onto the flicks over the table on top of the bounce to practice wrist motion in generating spin and pace.

I would suggest working on an overall game and strategy instead of particular strokes.  If mobility is an issue then I would suggest a close to the table hitting style.  More about flicks, drives, blocks, punch blocks, and smashes to finish off the point.

Most people would say "brush" or "go over the ball" to describe what you say, not "cover the ball", which is more of a follow through idea that Pnatchwey disputed by arguing that the contact time of paddle and ball is too short for this to make a difference. 

The proper contact point of a loop changes depending on the goal - light or heavy underspin, topspin, no spin - and the quality of the rubber  and speed of the stroke.  Ultimately, if I can't work out a game with my current condition, I will switch to hitting as the goal (it's what I do right now for the most part).  That time has not come yet if ever.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/03/2012 at 3:39pm
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 4:43pm
It is obvious that there are lots of ways to produce great loops.  One of the more significant aspects is how to do this and still be in great position to hit your next shot.  Also, how to maximize power of your shot and minimizing overall effort needed to do it.  I think the things that make Ma Long and ZJK so amazing happen long before their blade hits the ball -- and also what happens immediately after they hit the ball.  Same for anyone else in the top 100 in the world for that matter.  So getting back a bunch of pages to the title of this entire thread, about the "myth of the Chinese vs Europe loop", I think it is completely correct.  What is not a myth is the depth and intensity of Chinese coaching for talented kids from a ridiculously young age onward.  That's just not easy to find anywhere else. 
Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

The same person will always have more power if he opens the arm in the elbow. But it's more difficult to hit the ball, so many people abandon a good stroke only to make sure they hit the ball. 

What about Liu Guoliang, do you think he abandoned a good stroke?

Btw some people do think it's easier to hit with a straight arm. I see this with kids playing badminton. It's got to do with body coordination, some people have a better feel for their arm position when it's straight, rather than when the elbow is bent in varying degrees. 

If you keep your arm straight out from your body, your hand will be at the same distance from your body every time. If you bend your elbow you have to trust the feel in your elbow joint. Maybe that's natural for some, but it's not natural for everybody.

Edited by Anderni - 10/03/2012 at 7:24pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 8:21pm
i was referring to pnachtawey. sorry for not making my statement clear hehehe
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:21pm

All you ever have to do is actually watch a little ITTF table tennis to know this is not just "possible" according to mysterious laws of physics -- it is quite obviously true!

Two of mt all-time favorite players.  I don't think Gatien's euroloop lacked power (even if he is way past his prime in this clip).  Teen-aged WLQ, has just as much with his chinoloop, and he stays in better balance and wins.  By the way, this is from in the days when people didn't whinge about illegal hidden serves.

Edited by Baal - 10/03/2012 at 9:47pm
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Anderni Anderni wrote:

Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

The same person will always have more power if he opens the arm in the elbow. But it's more difficult to hit the ball, so many people abandon a good stroke only to make sure they hit the ball. 

What about Liu Guoliang, do you think he abandoned a good stroke?

Btw some people do think it's easier to hit with a straight arm. I see this with kids playing badminton. It's got to do with body coordination, some people have a better feel for their arm position when it's straight, rather than when the elbow is bent in varying degrees. 

If you keep your arm straight out from your body, your hand will be at the same distance from your body every time. If you bend your elbow you have to trust the feel in your elbow joint. Maybe that's natural for some, but it's not natural for everybody.

But these are just counter hits.  Not loops.  Counter hits are the lightest of the topspin strokes. 
This is looping and counter looping

Note unlike counter hitting the paddle ends above his head.  So he never covers his eyes during his swing and going back to ready.  Also note his compact swing and follow through doesn't past his center line, if he needs to torque more, he does it by twisting his body, not by letting is paddle go past the center line.

Counter loops to heavy loops like he mentions requires contact on the top of the ball.  So advance players practice making contact on top, when the ball is in various point of the bounce.  Off the bounce, height of the bounce, falling away after apex of bounce.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 9:35pm
Some more great players back in their prime with good loops.  Also, Swedish is a pretty funny sounding language sometimes....

Edited by Baal - 10/03/2012 at 9:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic