Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Review:"NEW better" 729 F1 - Powerlooper's Dream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review:"NEW better" 729 F1 - Powerlooper's Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Vardant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vardant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review:"NEW better" 729 F1 - Powerlooper's Dream
    Posted: 04/30/2014 at 3:54am
Where did you order them from? Also, could you post a picture of the new version?
Sponsored Links

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 5:15pm
ha ha.... make sure its from new batch with distinctly different handle.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 2:49pm
You just made me buy another one.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 2:34pm
Recently bought couple new 729 F1 s and i was shocked to see that what used to be 82-88 gms...., has become 90 to 97 grams !!! and i measured around 10-12 pieces of the same blade.

was very disappointed...BUT ...

When i played with it.... i couldn't believe my shots!! they are better, crisper, and awesome control.

WHY???? HOW??

i then figured the cross-section is same... while the handle is thicker, longer and different shape. From old viscaria type oval handle, it has now become Timo Boll ALC type smooth squarish handle. Giving much better control on fine movements.

And the balance is superb!! ... its less head heavy even with heavy rubbers.

Its a great change... and a great blade just became even better.

I can't think of using any other blade.... being a power loooper and driver.... and everything else-er!
vid1
Vid 2
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 1:39pm
I think Kiri works best when paired with denser composite, then the thickness can be decreased to increase the flex without losing too much speed. The Mizutani blade is 5.7mm and I consider that to be a pretty good kiri blade.

For all wood blades, I prefer ayous cores. I have a ayous 1 ply and that feels great. As far as I know, kiri cannot be made into a 1 ply blade. It is probably not dense enough as its in between balsa and ayous.

Interesting info on kiri:
http://www.paulowniasupply.com/paulownia_vs_balsa.htm
Viscaria FL
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: Sword Scylla OX
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 4:09am
Thickness for thickness kiri is more flexible than ayous. It's also less elastic so needs to be thicker to get the same kind of power.  You need to replace a 2mm ayous core with a 3mm kiri core to get a similar yet less feeling kiri blade. You almost never see a good Kiri blade less than about 5.9mm thick. Where most Ayous blades are under 5.5mm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:57am
I ordered F2, which is thicker than F1 but all wood. Same koto outer.

Did somebody try it?

Edited by seguso - 04/18/2013 at 2:57am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 5:26pm
I know I'm a year behind but I decided to give this blade a try. Mine is 89g and I used T05 FH and Zap Balance BH.

The handle feels just a little thinner than my V-6 but it is very comfortable to hold. Slightly head heavy with the rubbers above. Rubber weight was 92grams.

I feel debraj's original review is spot on. The blade has noticeably more flex than my V-6 or V-12 and looping feels great. No ping at all to the carbon. It has a crisp feel.

The only part I would disagree with the original review is that I think the kiri cores are more flexible than ayous cores. I have played with a lot of ayous core blades and kiri cores consistently feel like they flex more. The most flexible blade I played with was Jun Mizutani and that also has a kiri core.

As for the size of the sweetspot, it is smaller than the V-6 sweet spot. Probably due to the 5.7mm thickness. V-6 is also a slightly faster blade. I did not feel like the sweetspot was uneven at all.
Viscaria FL
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: Sword Scylla OX
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 3:08am
yes, I was the whistle-blower with the rotten F-1.  F1 is for close combat and aggressive looping. 

I had bad-quality related experiences with the first batches (2 blades - one had cracks when it arrived, so I returned it, the replacement seemed fine at a glance but had non-uniform plies it seemed - when you bounced the ball on the wood it sounded broken and different from place to place, with rubbers it was a loose cannon)

the most recent I've tried is decent and thicker by 1 mm than the previous one. I guess I got third-time lucky.

as far as Chinese composites go, the most recent F-1 is a catch and is much better in terms of design than YinHe similarly priced (such as the Ts and the Ys) blades. 

the koto top ply is still prone to splintering, so sand very lightly and seal with 2 thin layers.

although, it excels in close to the table play, F-1 has a good range, if you fit it with suitable rubbers. (T25 1.9 is a very good fit on it - one of the very few blades that gets the T25 IMHO)

i would not say it is the best blade ever, but it is a good value provided you do not get a dud, like I did (and I had reasonable expectations given all the excitement and praise, when the blade was in fashion).  at the time everyone was getting one, and was dreaning of overthrowing butterfly's monopoly in composites. since then most that tried the F-1 had gone back to their ALC blades and have lived happily ever-after. 

If you are not price-conscious and you are looking for a blade to play for the next 5 years (not just a here are few alternative that you will be happier with play-wise: 
1/ TSP Black Blizzard
2/ BTY Innerforce ULC
3/ Tibhar Stratus Carbon

That said, F-1 still is a good value for money.

Edited by vvu.tee - 04/25/2012 at 3:09am
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 11:37pm
I have been using the F1 for a year now. It really is a dream blade for such a cheap price. Durability wise, it is pretty consistent but everytime I reglue, thin splinters do come off the top =( I tried sanding it down and maybe its time for some coating. Overall this is a wonderful blade ranging from close to table to off the table. It takes a couple of weeks to adjust your stroke and Im really glad I stuck with it for over a year because it just keeps getting better everyday! Try out this paddle if you get a chance!
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2011 at 6:16pm
Tabletennis only got F-1 right now but only ST handles.
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2011 at 3:46pm
i have an f-1 for sale. pm me. still in brand new unused condition bought from tabletennisonly
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Debraj,

Have you had any issues with the F-1's playing characteristics changing over the time you've used it? An earlier poster mentioned that the consistency within each ply is poor..making the blade surface very inconsistent.

Also where can you get an F-1? I've spent some time looking but can't find anyone that sells it!

Finally, any suggestions for an alternate to the F-1 (I think I'd be okay with spending up to $50 for a test blade)?

gatorling..

- no i haven't had any inconsistency in the blade. this is my primary blade as of today.

f-1 is stocked by eacheng, fareastsports, and tabletennisonly (JZ). JZ just got back from china, check if he has picked up more f-1 stock from there.

vid1
Vid 2
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 4:24pm
Oh no!  Only f-1 or all 729 blades?
Waldner Senso Carbon
FH: 729 Focus III Snipe 2.1/42
BH: Galaxy Moon 2.1/38

RITC-729 A1
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 4:06pm
Unfortunately tabletennisonly stopped stocking them :-(.Mother in law is in China right now, maybe I'll ask her to pick me up some F-1's and save on shipping...probably get them for dirt cheap too!
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 1:48pm
Waldner Senso Carbon

RITC-729 A1
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 1:31pm
Yes, at eacheng.net

No issues so far. If you are not a flat-hitter, H2 is still perfect for FH.

Edited by Imago - 05/18/2011 at 1:34pm
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Have you had any issues with the F-1's playing characteristics changing over the time you've used it? An earlier poster mentioned that the consistency within each ply is poor..making the blade surface very inconsistent.
Also where can you get an F-1? I've spent some time looking but can't find anyone that sells it!

Finally, any suggestions for an alternate to the F-1 (I think I'd be okay with spending up to $50 for a test blade)?

Get the blade at eacheng

I would also be interested in learning more about the inconsistency issues with this blade, especially of all the people in here, how many do have issues with it and how many don't?
Kugelblitz
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2011 at 1:00pm
Debraj,

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 9:44am
The advantage is a greater range of speeds and more spin with the same speed. But you don't get the power for free any more so that can be a disadvantage as you have to work much harder during a match
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 8:18am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

It takes a long to time to learn how to play with real blades after you have been using "too fast" blades for a while. You need to relearn everything. You are going to have to force yourself to hit harder for a while until your stroke adjusts

ok, but what exactly is the advantage? more control lifting backspin? more precision near the table? easier blocks?

my history: I've played with stiga OC with slow globe999 and I had to switch to faster blade because of lack of power, even though I have a big forehand swing (I am a former tennis pro). I couldn't compete with junior pros (I mean 14 year olds among the best in my country) because I didn't always have time to take a big swing. I then tried dawei gto and found I could control it just fine, and I could now beat them (I mean in the same day). Then I switched to faster wavestone and in two months I could control it. Then I switched to faster, harder rubbers like sun and moon and I still can control it well enough. The difficulty with harder rubbers was that the technique to lift backspin is different, and requires me to open the blade angle more, but now I can do it. Then I tried H3 and H3neo but I find them too hard, too little spin against slow dead balls, and opening loops are too difficult for the same reason.

Edited by seguso - 05/07/2011 at 8:30am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 7:56am
@debraj

About the moon on backhand which you say is too slow... if in order to use f1 I need to switch to a faster (and more expensive) rubber than Moon, I am unlikely to use f-1. in this case I'd just stay with wavestone (or switch to T4 when I am able to handle it).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 7:54am
It takes a long to time to learn how to play with real blades after you have been using "too fast" blades for a while. You need to relearn everything. You are going to have to force yourself to hit harder for a while until your stroke adjusts
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 7:49am
@debraj

thanks for the suggestions. I will try f-1 at the end of the season, next month. I can't risk losing more matches for switching blade.

however I gave f1 a try with the robot and I admit it felt not only slower, which I was expecting, but also strangely it seemed to have worse touch than my wavestone. (and also than my t4).

what's worse, the side with Moon seemed strangely inconsistent when looping. this can be due to uneven sealing with hair spray (I had never done it), or to bad glueing (I put too little copydex in some spots, very uneven), or to poor construction if we are to believe vvu.tee (I hope not).

for the rubbers, I used a red H3 (boosted months ago) on fh and moon on backhand. I didn't put h3neo on fh, because my h3neo is black and then I wouldn't have a red moon on backhand. BTW, I don't find moon 38 too slow for backhand. to the contrary, I find it quite fast, at least with wavestone. (I don't own thor's unfortunately. maybe someday I'll try it.)

I'll post here the developments :)

Edited by seguso - 05/07/2011 at 7:51am
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:32pm
LOL its so much fun twiddling .... LOL 
vid1
Vid 2
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:26pm
Still, Debraj, how do you play with one rubber only?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

my F-1 arrived today. I'm eager to try it. Unfortunatyely I see it's already splintering: just by passing my finger on it, it splinters. And I don't have sanding sealer... I'll use copydex thinned with lots of water.

another problem is I don't know what rubber to try. Maybe Moon 38 on fh and M2 37 on backhand.

seguso i would rather you not use moon on BH. didn't work very well for me. too slow.

also when you move from 7.2mm blade like wavestone to 5.7mm blade like f-1; it is slow... but it will feel ridiculously slow initially. because your stroke mechanics is different... tuned for low dwell time. 

it happened with me when i switched from V-1. 

but then after a weeks play i could generate almost as much speed in loops and drives, but blocks stayed calm than v-1.

lastly i think the splintering you mentioned is the thin fibre like material that actually hurts you palm when you brush on the blade. i used a fine sand paper to even it out for the first 2-3 times when i took rubbers off. now it has stabilized.

i didn't use any sealant.

vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

btw, this blade looks like dawei gto, for the thickness of the layers.

seguso ... i played with gto and returned it. didn't like the hollow feeling... and also the quality ... my blade has 2 wood layers on one side... and 1 on other side. i did put up the pictures in a post here. 
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by beowulf beowulf wrote:

Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

i doubt if all of them are good... there are some rational and some irrational blades.

while someone noob can even like a irrational blade and post a great review of it (like i did for T8, 5 years back) .... those may not be mainstream blades which people will stick to eventually. earlier i used to like the new materials like aramid or zylon etc... but eventually figured a good blade design is way more important that exotic materials.

@debraj,
              My friend who bought this F-1 blade, wants to know which rubber is more effective on forehand of F-1 ?? H3 NEO Provincial or Thor's..? Since you have tried both, I will appreciate if you could give me you opinion about this. He is a very good forehand looper and on backhand he mostly pushes with occasional loops. He likes to powerloop a lot with his forehand and hence this question.Smile

Bewulf... i think any of these rubbers will work at their best with F-1. i played with multiple firm sponged rubbers and all of them worked well as the blade has hard top and some flex. 

but more important is your friend's liking ... because while liking for H3 is universal, thors has a very selective and dedicated patrons. :) i like thors on the BH.

And on FH after playing tons of rubber... the one i am liking most is 999T (next time i will get the $15 national version) with PO tuning. I can definitely say it feels better than tuned or untuned H3 NEO. 
vid1
Vid 2
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Blades are like women. You must take care of them to see their gratitude. And treat them with the proper rubber.

LOL Clap

Edited by ThaiLe - 05/06/2011 at 11:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic