Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ST vs FL Handles-Does it matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ST vs FL Handles-Does it matter?
    Posted: 04/12/2011 at 3:28pm
I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on the pros/cons as far as playing/technique of these handles or if it even matters at all. I did a search and read some threads but they are mostly about personal preference or comfort.

I have been playing with a Yasaka blade that's FL and held other people's blades with ST FL and AN handles. I have big hands with thick fingers and I personally don't like the thinness of the FL handle at the top. It almost feels like it's not there. I did like how the ST and even AN felt but I never played with them.

Now as far as stroke, power, technique, etc... does it make a diff? I heard things from more adv players like: ST is better for backhand or ST is better for closer to table play where FL is better for far away. Is that true? And why?
Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 3:50pm
I have both ST and FL.  I like ST when I can get it.  FL feels too narrow around where the handle meets the blade.  I think it is a matter of preference not performance.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by strulag strulag wrote:

Now as far as stroke, power, technique, etc... does it make a diff? I heard things from more adv players like: ST is better for backhand or ST is better for closer to table play where FL is better for far away. Is that true? And why?

None of the this is really true.  Examples, Ma Long plays close to the table and uses FL along with most other Chinese players, and Maze and Timo both use ST and are often away from the table. 

Mostly it comes down to personal preference, but a lot of it depends of how you hold your racket.  ST handles are very popular with players that rotate their grip quite a bit from FH to BH, such as Timo and Maze.  This is because the handle usually fits in the hand the exact same however you rotate it, where as a FL would press into the hand at larger than normal angles.  Players that tend to hold the racket at the same position on both sides usually use FL, such as most Chinese players or even Schlager for a European example.  But mainly it comes down to personal preference.

Just as a side note, usually the FH hook serve is easier to do with a ST handle than a FL because the extra width of a FL at the bottom can bump into the top of your wrist when you rotate your wrist back.

Edited by Carbon TT - 04/12/2011 at 4:02pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:02pm
I tell customers that it's a matter of personal preference except for the style of player that uses contrasting sides (aka inverted and long pips or anti.)  For that style of play, at a higher level you want to be able to "twiddle" or flip the blade mid point.  They tell me that straight works much better if you're doing this.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

They tell me that straight works much better if you're doing this.

That is usually true, my SK7 is my chopping blade and it is a ST handle.  It definately flips around in my hand more smoothly than my other blades which are all FL.

Edited by Carbon TT - 04/12/2011 at 4:07pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:06pm

double post

Edited by Carbon TT - 04/12/2011 at 4:07pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:49pm
If twiddling is part of your game, straight works better because it sits more naturally in the hand, after the twiddle.

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:54pm

I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on the pros/cons as far as playing/technique of these handles or if it even matters at all. I did a search and read some threads but they are mostly about personal preference or comfort.

I have been playing with a Yasaka blade that's FL and held other people's blades with ST FL and AN handles. I have big hands with thick fingers and I personally don't like the thinness of the FL handle at the top. It almost feels like it's not there. I did like how the ST and even AN felt but I never played with them.

The techniques for FL and ST handles are a little bit different... FL handles allow you to keep the racket head up easier than ST to keep balance of the racket in your hand easier, but the flip side is you must maintain a more flexible wrist to let the racket head drop a bit more than using ST handles before hitting the ball with force.  For long distance looping (and chopping) FL handles let you incorporate a noticeable "hooking" motion at contact with your wrist, which for the Chinese they feel is helpful in the 40mm ball era.  FL handles also allow for better maneuverability at the table for short pushes and flicks.  ST handles, on the hand, provide full contact with the user's palm at all times, so a more consistent, stable and powerful stroke can be performed.
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 4:56pm
From a lady opinion, most of us like the flare handle because most of us has smaller hands and we would like to have a good grip on our blade it so comfortable. Well fo me with the exception of darker fl handle which i could not really have a good grasp of the neck of the blade and i dont like that feeling. Most of the ladies usually have short pips either bh or fh so flare handle is not a big deal when twiddling because the combo is lighther. For me, the only time i will use st handle if my combination is borh smooth rubbers much easy to do the bh.
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 7:21pm
I'm experiencing paralysis by analysis regarding handles. I can't find the right one at a price I can afford.

When it comes to ST handles, I've discovered that I prefer an oval profile over the more rectangular profile with rounded edges. The oval profile yields more surface area for a more secure grip. I'm particular about the width and thickness of the ST handle as well. For example, the ST handle of the Donic Persson Powerplay is both too narrow and too thin, while those on the Waldner series are noticeably wider and thicker. Those same handles, however, to me, have a slight taper towards the end, which again I don't like.

I'm playing with a FL handle at the moment, but I really don't like how the thickness of most FL handles tapers towards the neck. On some FL handles, both the width and thickness taper towards the neck. Those are the worse for me. The most comfortable FL handles IMHO are those with an oval profile, constant thickness, like ST handles, are wider than average, and flare out gradually towards the end. The Donic Persson Powerplay FL handles meet the last requirement but not the rest. Sigh.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I'm experiencing paralysis by analysis regarding handles. I can't find the right one at a price I can afford.

When it comes to ST handles, I've discovered that I prefer an oval profile over the more rectangular profile with rounded edges. The oval profile yields more surface area for a more secure grip. I'm particular about the width and thickness of the ST handle as well. For example, the ST handle of the Donic Persson Powerplay is both too narrow and too thin, while those on the Waldner series are noticeably wider and thicker. Those same handles, however, to me, have a slight taper towards the end, which again I don't like.

I'm playing with a FL handle at the moment, but I really don't like how the thickness of most FL handles tapers towards the neck. On some FL handles, both the width and thickness taper towards the neck. Those are the worse for me. The most comfortable FL handles IMHO are those with an oval profile, constant thickness, like ST handles, are wider than average, and flare out gradually towards the end. The Donic Persson Powerplay FL handles meet the last requirement but not the rest. Sigh.

Oh, one more thing. ST handles can feel very insecure in the hand, especially if the blade is head-heavy.

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 8:23pm
Try the JOOLA Wing blades' flared handles. They're quite thick though attacking with the backhand will require some alterations. Personally I prefer thick flared handles so I don't feel like I'll throw the blade on hard forehands. It matters for me, but only as a matter of preference.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 9:09pm
For me I find that as I get more advanced in the game , I realise that gripping the handle too tightly isn't at all that good. I get a better swing of the blade if I don't grip too tightly. I also feel the ball better with a loose grip. The FL handle offers a loser grip and a better swing. After trying out ST and AN handles, I finally settled for the FL handle.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 1:18am

I have played with all handles.  ST is my preference.  Why?  Well, I found that ST is better for my BH close to the table.  It's better for my FH flip on the table.  I can change the angle of the racket quicker and easier for differently shots. 

With FL, it was good for my FH loop and my BH passive blocks.  I couldn't counter attack with my BH using FL handle.

With AN, I smashed the ball very well with FH and can do almost everything with my BH.  However, I couldn't loop well on my FH.

So, there you go...

Keep in mind that different handles will fit different styles...

95% of my blades are in ST.  The other 5%, they are discontinued blades or I can't find ST handles for them Smile

Good luck...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 8:55pm
Very good info here from everyone. That's what I was looking for. I guess I'll also see for myself as I ordered my first ST handle blade. I've been playing with a Yasaka FL and like most people that don't like a flared handle, it's because of how thin it is where it meets the head. I got a Timo Boll ALC with ST handle which is pretty square-ish from what I hear. I will switch back and forth between the two to see how I like them both for the handle difference and feel of how they play. I will update more once I get to play both.
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

I have played with all handles.  ST is my preference.  Why?  Well, I found that ST is better for my BH close to the table.  It's better for my FH flip on the table.  I can change the angle of the racket quicker and easier for differently shots. 

With FL, it was good for my FH loop and my BH passive blocks.  I couldn't counter attack with my BH using FL handle.

With AN, I smashed the ball very well with FH and can do almost everything with my BH.  However, I couldn't loop well on my FH.

So, there you go...

Keep in mind that different handles will fit different styles...

95% of my blades are in ST.  The other 5%, they are discontinued blades or I can't find ST handles for them Smile

Good luck...

I'll keep this in mind and try to see if I have the same experience. Mind you I still don't have all my strokes fully developed but I have a robot at home which I can setup pretty much any shot and I will try all these shots you describe with both blades.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 9:43pm
I prefer FL but I do like to rotate the grip slightly between FH and BH loops which would be better with a straight handle. I often loop with a fairly loose hand though and hold the blade near the head which is better with FL, overall FL is what I prefer
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 12:56am
Does anyone occasionally get a sort of blister on the fleshy part of your palm right at the base of the middle and/or ring finger? I'm wondering if that problem comes with both ST and FL handles. Although I've primarily used FL (Stiga Legend, Nittaku), the one ST handle I've used (Matsush*ta Pro) has given me the same problem. Perhaps it is just the shape of the handle (roundish or squarish)? The only way I can lessen the problem is to do a light sanding but otherwise it still happens to me from time to time.
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 2:01am
I have always used Flared handles. Of course, not all flared handles are designed/created the same, depending on the manufacturer.

I decided to experiment with a ST handle a couple months ago - Yasaka Max Carbon 3D. I and my friends found this handle kinda thick for a ST.  For me, this handle didn't give me the nimbleness I'm used to in my shots with a FL handle. Therefore, I've abandoned ST and will order a FL version of this blade. 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 11:28am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Does anyone occasionally get a sort of blister on the fleshy part of your palm right at the base of the middle and/or ring finger? I'm wondering if that problem comes with both ST and FL handles. Although I've primarily used FL (Stiga Legend, Nittaku), the one ST handle I've used (Matsush*ta Pro) has given me the same problem. Perhaps it is just the shape of the handle (roundish or squarish)? The only way I can lessen the problem is to do a light sanding but otherwise it still happens to me from time to time.

I have that permanently during the TT season. Players' grip is either biased towards the thumb/index or the last 2 fingers. The first type play a lot on spin. While the second type are more into drives. These are just generalisations of course. In reality there's a combination.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
pkan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 6:35pm
In Korea, many view ST handles as men's handles while FL as women's handles. They think this way because men have bigger hands and ST handles are more comfortable for bigger hands. Honestly, I don't really feel much of a difference between the two in terms of performance but I personally prefer ST handles. Wink
Neo TG3 + Ebonholz V + Sriver G3
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2011 at 11:56am
I have a big had as well and that's pretty much the reason I want to try the straight. Hearing the different things though about grips and play I wanted to inform myself and know what I'm getting into. Looking forward to experimenting with both on my robot.
ttran82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttran82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2011 at 6:34pm
This discussion lured myself into trying ST handle....
I'm waiting for my first ST handle to ship...........itchy hands LOL
Can't wait to try it out....
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2011 at 1:48am

I played AN, FL and ST (I don't twiddle) ... all felt different... AN is the most comfortable. ST has the most free wrist movement. FL... not sure how to discribe the feel..

To me, handle shape (as above) don't really matters..
Dont Chop MeNow View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dont Chop MeNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2011 at 4:12pm
I use the Matsush*ta Pro qynthnghm is talking about and I can attest to the blistering effect of its handle. I've grown a thick callus there and it becomes sore after a particularly long night of playing. It seems that the area in question gets pinched between the finger and the handle. I suspect that the handle itself is to blame being that, with FL handles, the that spot by the middle finger is generally dipped and not in a position to apply pressure to the finger. I haven't tested this to make sure, though.
jujo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 1:02am
Can always do something like this 

straight handle with athletic tape on bottom

Best of both worlds Approve
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 3:34am
I just noticed that my Toxic 5 also has a straight handle.  The Toxic 5 is a defensive paddle but one may want to twiddle with it. 
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

I played AN, FL and ST (I don't twiddle) ... all felt different... AN is the most comfortable. ST has the most free wrist movement. FL... not sure how to discribe the feel..

To me, handle shape (as above) don't really matters..

I don't understand...If AN is the most comfortable and ST has most free movement how can handle shape not matter?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 4:30pm
I usually play with ST handles, and I like the extra freedom of movement they give w.r.t. FL. However, I like experimenting with new blades, and my next two candidates are flared and conical. I just grabbed the bats for a few swings and noticed that conical fills my hand nicely, while with the FL handle I noticed that I actually hold the racket differently.
Due to the fact that the handle is thinner at the top, I tend to hold the racket slightly slanted forward (as compared to the 90 degrees up typical shakehand position), with the fingertips contacting the lateral edge of the handle at the thinnest part of the handle, rather than curling around to touch the forehand side of the handle. As a result, the racket is extending slighly more outward, in the direction of the forearm, as if it were a "tenaly" handle with a more gentle curve. Does anybody else holds the racket that way?
Don't know if this is clear. If not, I'll post pictures.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 5:44pm
I think I know what you mean arg0. I've played with ST before and it does feel more solid and "locked in" but FL does have the slight ergonomic advantage in that the middle and ring fingers can be a little closer to the centerline of the blade. I prefer to play penhold with a FL handle for the same reason in that my thumb is in a better location. My current blade is not made in cpen handle but I don't mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic