Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tuttle Beijing IV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

its because the human factor on using an equipment should never be separated and shooting pingpong balls on a a stationary rubber mounted on a board is not a good way to check the speed. the best way to check the speed of the rubber is using it and time the speed with a speed radar gun. and no, people will not adapt fully to a max calibra lt+ and then control it the way a person can control an RITC 729 rubber. you may be able to do drives or loops with it but when it comes to playing it in a game you will know how many balls you will see flying off the table. 
[/QUOTE]

+1000

What use is a bounce test of a random "cutting board"?     What about using 10 different cutting boards with various COR's/densities/compounds ?    Or how about this....use an actual paddle mounted with the average grip tension of a players hand at ball impact.....?  Wait....there are too many variables huh.... 

Some of us can tell instantly the differences of speed/loft/grip of rubbers no matter how well we can or can not adapt to different setups.  

Basically, you cant simulate performance of a rubber without an actual real world playing test.  Other data from "scientific tests"  with non-real testing mechanics are trivial to actual players feedback. There are so many elements to how a player hits the ball....angles, touch, grip pressure, and body mechanics.  So.....a bounce test off a "board"  only means the results are exact or relative to that same situation.....and I'm pretty sure 99.99% of people that buy rubbers do not use them for cutting board bounce tests...... Wink

Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 1:02pm
Quote What use is a bounce test of a random "cutting board"?
A cutting board would be solid like bouncing the ball off the table top.  The density and weight would be relatively high so the mass can be considered to be infinite with respect to the weight of the ball.  The cutting board will not flex.

What about using 10 different cutting boards with various COR's/densities/compounds ?
Once the weight and density are very high and the flex nonexistent then it makes no practical difference.  Then I am testing only the rubber, not the blade, and certainly not the stroke or how the rubber is used.

Or how about this....use an actual paddle mounted with the average grip tension of a players hand at ball impact.....?  Wait....there are too many variables huh....
I think you and yogi are the only ones that fail to see that I am trying to REMOVE THE VARIABLES!
I want to measure the properties of the rubber alone.

Some of us can tell instantly the differences of speed/loft/grip of rubbers no matter how well we can or can not adapt to different setups.
WHO?  People aren't calibrated.  Are there two people on this forum with exactly the same setup?  If these calibrated people were all calibrated the same way wouldn't they all think the same setup was best?

Basically, you cant simulate performance of a rubber without an actual real world playing test.  Other data from "scientific tests"  with non-real testing mechanics are trivial to actual players feedback. There are so many elements to how a player hits the ball....angles, touch, grip pressure, and body mechanics.  So.....a bounce test off a "board"  only means the results are exact or relative to that same situation.....and I'm pretty sure 99.99% of people that buy rubbers do not use them for cutting board bounce tests...... Wink
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?  I AM EVALUATING RUBBER ALONE,  NOT HOW IT IS USED!!! GET IT!!!

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 1:12pm
As I understand the discussion, there is a question concerning the value of doing a rubber test eliminating all other variables (e.g. human factor, blade factor, etc.). 

A case can be made that measuring any constituent part of the complete system (human, blade, rubber) is not much value since the behavior of a complete system cannot be described the measurement of its components. I believe that this has merit.

On the other hand, there many be players who are simply interested in the characteristics of individual rubbers irrespective of the blade it is being used on or the human that is using it. That is valid also. 

I think the key point here is that a test that shows a rubber will be faster than any other rubber in the test has limited predictive value until it is actually included in the complete system - e.g. a human test by the human that intends to use it. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 3:50pm
Pnatchwey,

When you are ahead of your time, no one takes you seriously.  So don't lose any sleep over it. 

NL
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I think the key point here is that a test that shows a rubber will be faster than any other rubber in the test has limited predictive value until it is actually included in the complete system - e.g. a human test by the human that intends to use it. 

an objective measurement that a rubber is faster than all others have limited predicitve value??? 

and since subjective opinion must be worse, then your suggestion is basically: try it for yourself? Well, that has zero usefulness in predicting. The whole point of these tests is to give knowledge to potential users before the actually use it. 
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:08pm
My point is that his test is flawed as to useful results. But by using some extremely different object the rubbers are fixed to.....you will get results that tell you what the rubbers act like on something that is not similar to effects of use on a real blade in normal play. 

Basically, by using a object the rubbers are affixed to, which is something that is nothing close to the average blade density, weight, and such......the stiffer and much more dense object he will use will have results that definitely take away any practical realism of various rubber's speed differences on an average blade.  Also, the much stiffer and heavier board will most likely have a progressive additive to bounce and rebound effects of rubbers that would not otherwise be relevant if tested on a actual blade held in some way.  Just like when you bounce a ball on a blade with no rubbers....or bounce on a blade with rubbers.......when you actually hit the ball under normal playing conditions.....you can get a different response quite often. 
Geek

Edited by Rich215 - 03/12/2012 at 4:11pm
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:15pm
Or just read the ratings on TTDB when enough people have reviewed it concisely, which makes it easier-easter to evaluate.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

My point is that his test is flawed as to useful results. But by using some extremely different object the rubbers are fixed to.....you will get results that tell you what the rubbers act like on something that is not similar to effects of use on a real blade in normal play. 

Instead of controlling variables, you want to add more variables? I think you guys are missing the point of the test, which is comparative to other rubbers all other things being equal. It is not an absolute valuation, it is comaprative. And that is more useful than a subjective test any day.

[/QUOTE]
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Instead of controlling variables, you want to add more variables? I think you guys are missing the point of the test, which is comparative to other rubbers all other things being equal. It is not an absolute valuation, it is comaprative. And that is more useful than a subjective test any day.

[/QUOTE]

Actually using a much harder and stiffer board behind the rubbers ADDS..... a variable to the test and results.  IE the fact that you have progressed the bounce so much and different types of rubbers (tensors, tenergy, and non tensor rubbers) will or will not have various exaggerated progressive effects.  Thus, the differences in results between the rubbers could easily be very different than what they would if the object the rubber is fixed to something that more closely resembles a blade.

Maybe use a blade with 1 standard rubber on the opposite side for all various rubber tests on the hitting side.   This would take away variables that not realistic. 

So to say that it would be more useful to use something that is greatly different than a actual blade...is nonsense.  

But.....if you just want to compare rubber speeds in a totally unrealistic manor to actual game play....then your test would result with information that means little to actual response from normal use most likely.  That is my point.  

Sorry to add so much to the total derailment of the thread !   Ouch    I shall end my point here. 

LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2012 at 6:15pm
test different angles too. some rubbers are slow in flat hitting but loop pretty fast
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 1:58pm

Actually using a much harder and stiffer board behind the rubbers ADDS..... a variable to the test and results.

Actually no.  The cutting board is so hard and heavy compared to the rubber and ball that it will absorb and return a infinitely small amount of energy that can be ignored.   That is what you want of you want to test only the rubber.

You are annoying me.  It should be clear that different rubbers will work differently on different paddles.  So what paddle should I use to evaluate the rubbers?  Don't you see the problem?

IE the fact that you have progressed the bounce so much and different types of rubbers (tensors, tenergy, and non tensor rubbers) will or will not have various exaggerated progressive effects.

Can anybody translate this?

Originally posted by LGL_fan LGL_fan wrote:

test different angles too. some rubbers are slow in flat hitting but loop pretty fast

Will do.   I can turn the cutting board so the balls hit it at about a 45 degree angle.

That won't be a problem.

I bought another TB4 for evaluation.   I don't want to remove the one I was given from my Firewall Plus.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 6:57pm
Rich, you're not understanding the concept of modulization.  Each component needs to be isolated and studied by itself, eventually reducing each down to a system that has outputs that are predictable by inputs.  Blades are undoubtedly important to the overall performance, but that's an entirely separate topic.

What you're saying essentially is that since people drive cars, it's impossible to study a car's performance in any area without a person operating it.  That's simply not true.  In fact, you can break a car down to its components, and the synergy between the components is indeed a science that can be predicted.  A table tennis setup is decidedly not as complicated as car components, and thus I hope you can accept that it can both be studied without human operators and as individual components without neglecting the synergistic effect of combining the components.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Rich, you're not understanding the concept of modulization.  Each component needs to be isolated and studied by itself, eventually reducing each down to a system that has outputs that are predictable by inputs.  Blades are undoubtedly important to the overall performance, but that's an entirely separate topic.

What you're saying essentially is that since people drive cars, it's impossible to study a car's performance in any area without a person operating it.  That's simply not true.  In fact, you can break a car down to its components, and the synergy between the components is indeed a science that can be predicted.  A table tennis setup is decidedly not as complicated as car components, and thus I hope you can accept that it can both be studied without human operators and as individual components without neglecting the synergistic effect of combining the components.

The car is a very good example. For example expected fuel economy that is based upon standardized testing is nothing like what the results a driver actually experiences. The actual results vary widely from the projected and of course varies from car driver to car driver. What you can say in gross terms is that a hybrid will get better mileage because of the substantial differences between hybrids and ordinary gas propelled cars. This is similar to saying that a hard tacky sponge will be slower than a soft, speed glued sponge. 

There is nothing wrong with a little experimentation and fun testing rubbers. However, when a player glues that rubber (another variable) onto a blade (a second variable) and the player picks up the blade a starts hitting with it (a huge variable which cannot be simulated) a "slow rubber" may turn out to be very fast and a fast rubber turn out very slow. Thus the actual value of such a test may be minimal but that should not detract from the fun of actually performing the test. I myself love to experiment and learn from the experiments.  
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 9:02pm

My point is that by using something so drastically harder/stiffer than an average blade (say 5ply all wood OFF- type), will most likely make any bounce test results much different from rubber to rubber. 

Yes you have removed elements like different peoples opinions and the effects of various types of blades. You have also isolated rubber to rubbers effects by only using one type of mounting device for all tested rubbers.  But by using the harder stiffer mounting device...you have added an element that is not modularized or isolated the functions, or in this case, the effects and performance of the rubber in a semi normal condition.

For example. A test using something close to normal blade setup mounting device, might show results of Mark V 2.0mm being 33% slower at X speed compared to Rakza 7 2.0mm.   But using the much harder/stiffer mounting device using the same X speed.....might show the difference in the same rubbers with Mark V now being 50% slower than the Rakza because Rakza is a tensor with progressive "gears" as apposed to the linear response of the Mark V.  

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 9:03pm
because table tennis is a sport that combines a lot of factors. hence the notion of getting the feel, control and usability from the person who is using it plus the speed and spin potential on the equipment. what we are tryin to point out is why separate the speed factor purely when in the real world and in gaming situation speed is not the only factor? sure you are measuring the speed of the rubber i do not question that but after you measure the speed then what? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 9:27pm

My point is that by using something so drastically harder/stiffer than an average blade (say 5ply all wood OFF- type), will most likely make any bounce test results much different from rubber to rubber. 

Yes you have removed elements like different peoples opinions and the effects of various types of blades. You have also isolated rubber to rubbers effects by only using one type of mounting device for all tested rubbers.  But by using the harder stiffer mounting device...you have added an element that is not modularized or isolated the functions, or in this case, the effects and performance of the rubber in a semi normal condition.

For example. A test using something close to normal blade setup mounting device, might show results of Mark V 2.0mm being 33% slower at X speed compared to Rakza 7 2.0mm.   But using the much harder/stiffer mounting device using the same X speed.....might show the difference in the same rubbers with Mark V now being 50% slower than the Rakza because Rakza is a tensor with progressive "gears" as apposed to the linear response of the Mark V.  

No, no, no, you're completely missing the point.  The rubber is one module, the blade is another.  Let's say we've modeled the rubber's behavior on a "blade" that's essentially infinitely stiff, our next job will be to model each blade's behavior.  I'm gonna assume that you have little computer programming or physics modeling experience, so let me give you an example using table tennis. 

For example, and I'm just throwing out arbitrary numbers here, let's say the we've modeled the TB4's performance on a cutting board(or even better, a slab of marble), now we want to know how it'll perform on say the Butterfly TBS vs. a Stiga OC.  So what do we do now?  Now we model the TBS and the OC the same way we modeled the TB4, which is to control every single other variable and study only the behavior of the blade, and compare it to a standard which in our case is a slab of marble.  Let's say that we find that the TB4 has a COR of 0.45 at speed X and angle Y.  Now we find that the TBS has a COR that is 97% of the marble's at speed X and angle Y, while the OC has a COR that is 96% of the marble's at the same speed and angle.  Then we may calculate that the TBS + TB4 setup may have a COR of 0.45 * 0.97 at speed X and angle Y, and the OC + TB4 setup has a COR of 0.45 * 0.96 at the same speed and angle.

At speed Z and angle Y, perhaps the TBS's COR is 99% of the marble's while the OC's COR is 101%, in that case the TB4 + TBS's COR would be 0.45*0.99 while that of the TB4 + OC would be 0.45*1.01.

That may seem complicated, but it's actually a very, very simplified version of what's happening.  You are, in fact, way, way underestimating how simple this process is.  Trust me, what pnatchwey suggested is in fact a very precise and doable method of modeling equipment behavior.

richf:

What you said is true...if you dumb rubber ratings down to the level of MPG ratings for cars(i.e. the way manufacturers rate rubbers right now).  Just as how the MPG ratings for cars vary depending on usage, the rubber ratings vary depend on impact velocity, angle, etc.  What we suggest is not something as simplistic and useless as "rubber X has a speed of Y", it'll be a continuous variable that is a function of many other variables.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 9:30pm

because table tennis is a sport that combines a lot of factors. hence the notion of getting the feel, control and usability from the person who is using it plus the speed and spin potential on the equipment. what we are tryin to point out is why separate the speed factor purely when in the real world and in gaming situation speed is not the only factor? sure you are measuring the speed of the rubber i do not question that but after you measure the speed then what? 

You have no idea just how simple TT is compared to the variety of complex issues that have been broken down into individual, predictable components.  How complex do you think the space shuttle is?  What a vastly complex system of interworking components is a rocket booster?  Yet these things can be broken down into simple modules and the behavior of the whole that is the aggregate of these millions of modules may be predicted.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2012 at 10:52pm
Xiom's performance characterization of rubber is by far the most interesting and informative, someone post a pic?.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 12:09am
Feels like Ive stumbled across a geek convention

Edited by riker71 - 03/14/2012 at 1:11am
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 1:39am
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

I feel like Ive stumbled across a geek convention
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see....
"strawberry fields forever". John Lennon

Geeks rule.  Look around. You owe your standard of living to geeks not to TT players.
Do you want geek facts or do you want more TT mysticism?

My favorite geek is Isaac Newton.  There aren't any TT players that come close to Isaac Newton in importance.

pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 2:07am
Come on guys, nobody is disputing your science.  Yes, you picked marble slab because you want to isolate the characteristics of the rubber only.  That makes sense.

However, you've lost 99% of the TT forum audience.  COR is not part of most people's everyday language.  All the great testing you do will be lost in the confused faces of us mere mortals who simply wanna know "is this thing X% more spinny than T05 on a TBS?"

I will leave you with this quote, as I look forward to your test results...

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. -- William Butler Yeats
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 2:27am
Many are in fact disputing the science, as you can very well see.  The point of my long winded explanation is two fold.  First, if you've got the scientific aptitude and desire then you may learn something and understand it.  Second, if you don't have the aptitude and/or no desire, then it should be enough to realize that...well, either you don't have the aptitude to continue this discussion or you don't have the desire to do so.

In simpler terms, I hope that yogi and the riches either understand our point or understand that they're in above their heads.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 4:57am
I don't think there's anything wrong with having what might be considered an overly academic discussion of table tennis. We're all free to participate in a thread or not participate.

However, I do think we're better off without childish tantrums (giant font with multiple exclamation points).

.. pretty silly and embarrassing for the forum
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:26am

You have no idea just how simple TT is compared to the variety of complex issues that have been broken down into individual, predictable components.  How complex do you think the space shuttle is?  What a vastly complex system of interworking components is a rocket booster?  Yet these things can be broken down into simple modules and the behavior of the whole that is the aggregate of these millions of modules may be predicted.

so what is the  practical application of that experiment then during a game wherein bouncing a ball on the a rubber with a board compared to hitting the ball with a rubber attached to a paddle? both of the situations are far different from each other. yes i agree table tennis can be simplified but are you not the ones who are making things complicated by introducing the physics aspects of it in which EVERY PLAYER DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW? here's the thing here, if you have the skills review the rubber or blade as it is , use it in a game or practice! thats the best way to test a rubber. the problem with some people here is that they are making everybody believe that because they have degrees in engineering, physics etc, their way of testing the rubber is the one that should be modeled after. i hate to tell you this but experience and skills are the 2 things needed in reviewing a rubber or blade. yes its subjective because of the reviewer but which would we trust more? the one who have tried the rubber or the just bouncing the ball against a rubber mounted on a board. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:33am
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

Come on guys, nobody is disputing your science.  Yes, you picked marble slab because you want to isolate the characteristics of the rubber only.  That makes sense.

However, you've lost 99% of the TT forum audience.  COR is not part of most people's everyday language.  All the great testing you do will be lost in the confused faces of us mere mortals who simply wanna know "is this thing X% more spinny than T05 on a TBS?"

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. -- William Butler Yeats

+1

this is what im arguing about. if i would use my field in para medical topics and apply it to the physiological aspects in table tennis they wouldn't understand it either. ive always said here, what good is their science if nobody can understand and apply it on their own game. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:37am
and lastly i would like to reiterate that having the proper skills and basics in table tennis plus experience in playing gives the best results in reviewing a product. by the way, i would like to see a video of pnachtawey and dingy using the rubber and PLAYING with it using the basic strokes. I would like to see their playing experience with the rubber because that is the most important thing here, are you up to the challenge guys?

kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 9:25am
How about a separate thread on methods and results of objective measurement of TT equipment (the hows).  And another thread for discussion for understanding the purpose of objective measurement (the whys).  
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 1:09pm
My review is coming soon. I received my rubber at about the worst time, a day before I left for spring break, and didn't get to play at all during spring break. I'll get a thorough hit on Saturday. Although I will say, this is NOT a forehand rubber, at least for my game. It would be a good forehand rubber for a beginner.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 3:40pm
yogi, I don't want to derail this thread much more, but I think you're missing the premise of our debate.  We're arguing over the PROCESS of rating rubbers, not the results.  A computer is very complicated object to build, but almost everyone knows how to use it.  Similarly, a rubber rating will be very difficult to come by, requiring a process that's way too difficult to understand by laymen like you, but the results will be simple.  For example, all you need to understand is something like "the TBS+TB4 is faster than OC+TB4 at slower speeds, but will have similar speed with less dwell at higher speeds".  Those of us who do understand physics/engineering will work with COR's and such to come to such conclusions.

Yogi, I'll post a video of me doing some basic strokes, no problem.  I'll try to do it this Friday or next Monday probably.  With that said, did you happen to watch Brian Pace's review of the TB4?  He's probably a higher level than 99.99% of the posters here, and his review was oh-so-terribly-off.  Just goes to show you why the current method of rating rubbers, i.e. through hands-on-experience, is too inaccurate to be useful.
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

Yet people here are aware of terms like high tension, tensor, spring sponge, throw angle, dwell, etc. and spend hours surfing these forums? Why can't they take some time to understand COR? The point of these experiments is to instruct. Maybe people should stop smashing down any discussion that is even remotely technical as a "geek convention" or as people trying to "show off their degrees."

These results will hopefully be a starting point, in which we can attempt to comparatively quantify speed. From there, you can apply the effects of different materials, not just the marble. And so on. Of course, there's not going to be an immediate, univeral application that answers everyone's questions with this single experiment. You people don't seem to understand science at all, or have a very extremist view on the implications of it: it either solves all the problems, or it's junk. It's no surprise people turned to mysticism; it gave them all the answers and they could just live without any worries.

I look forward to these tests as well, as they provide a fresh new perspective upon quantifying single characteristics of a blade or a piece of rubber. You can't expect to have any kind of rigorous test without reducing the variables. It's like taking a shotgun to a small target. Sure, you'll approach the bull's eye, but you can't expect to be entirely accurate nor precise.

Reviews are always nice to read, because they are written in the perspective of another player, but the disadvantages are exactly that--by a different player. So many reviews disagree with each other completely, it's ridiculous sometimes. But hey, that wasn't really surprising; in fact, it was entirely expected. Hopefully, we can come up with a more rigorous way of comparing rubbers and reduce such variables that result in these discrepancies.   
Viscaria
T05/T64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic