FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-transparent glue sheets?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-transparent glue sheets?
    Posted: 10/19/2013 at 5:41am
I've got to glue some red OX long pimple rubber onto a blade (for a friend) that has some dark lines showing (in the wood, not graphics)... so gluing the sheet will definitely show them though, which is something he does not want. I've used white glue sheets before, but the glue sheets I have at the moment are all transparent, so that won't help.

Can anyone think of some glue sheets that are white, i.e. not transparent?

Thanks a lot

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 7:16am
No-one has seen one?Shocked

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 7:42am
I have not. Would he be ok with you painting the blade red?
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 9:01am
Probably, and that's a good thought, but that's a fair bit of effort since I don't have the tools or paint. Unhappy
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 9:48am
I think sanding the black lines (print) off is the easiest.

I don't recall seeing non transparent glue sheets

Otherwise, black rubber will be your best optiont
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:05pm
Red Sharpie?
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:08pm
spray paint the glue sheet itself? I doubt the bonding characteristics of the glue will be affected.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

spray paint the glue sheet itself? I doubt the bonding characteristics of the glue will be affected.

Go get some coffee. You're coating the glue sheet and say it'd have no effect ??
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

I think sanding the black lines (print) off is the easiest.

I don't recall seeing non transparent glue sheets

Otherwise, black rubber will be your best optiont

Agreed with the black rubber, if you sand, you prob should also seal...more work for you.

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:18pm
are there black lines on both sides?

I think the paint might not dry properly on the glue sheet
so sanding the lines off is probably best.
however I dont think any action is required to be legal
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 1:22pm
This is a problem with gluing many OX red LP rubbers on many blades due to graphics on both sides of the blade or the blade having dark colored wood or wood grains showing through as they tend to be transparent.

Cole Ely used to have some white glue sheets (colestt dot com).  Not sure whether he still has any in stock.  He's in the US.

Other option is to use matte (not glossy) white color spray paint (buy a small can) and paint the side of the blade you want to attach the LP to.  Spray from a distance of about 15 inches, going side to side and apply a thin layer.  Once dry, you can use a fine grit sand paper to sand it painted side smooth (if needed.)  This does a very good job of covering any dark colors and does not change the playing characteristics of the blade.  Apply only the thinnest layer of paint possible while also covering the dark wood/graphics.  Cover the handle and edges of the blade before painting.  You can practice this on a scrap piece of wood.  The only down side is that you may not be able to sell a painted blade as easily as some people may not like the fact that one side is painted.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Go get some coffee. You're coating the glue sheet and say it'd have no effect ??

spray painting the glue sheet adds a very thin coat; the thinnest coat possible actually;
nothing you can feel at play time; no more than what we'd feel by painting or sanding the blade itself,  like members you did not jump on proposed above.
Add salt to your own coffee; you are too sweet this morning. LOL
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

why? spray painting VERY lightly on both sides of the glue sheet will definitely hide any line(s) drawn on the blade.

Spray paint a side of the glue sheet once before applying on the blade, on the side that contacts the blade and another time after that before applying the rubber on it.

The worst that can happen is to loose a glue sheet if you are right; to be sure, I would actually try with a broken unusable blade first; or a piece of wood that can be a substitute for the experience: if the paint transfer to the wood when taking off the glue sheet then we have a problem, unless it can be washed out easily.

Of course best is to 1st normally apply the glue sheet to the blade and spray paint only the side that contacts the rubber; it might be enough and the blade will not be threatened in any way.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 2:19pm
http://www.butterflyonline.com/inventory.asp?CatId={290C518B-0641-401B-B04C-73C88AEC39B1}

No, this won't work. Best to use a black OX sheet.

Edited by jt99sf - 10/20/2013 at 3:58pm

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

spray painting the glue sheet adds a very thin coat; the thinnest coat possible actually;
nothing you can feel at play time; no more than what we'd feel by painting or sanding the blade itself,  like members you did not jump on proposed above.
Add salt to your own coffee; you are too sweet this morning. LOL

why? spray painting VERY lightly on both sides of the glue sheet will definitely hide any line(s) drawn on the blade.

Because you'd be painting the glue.  Doing that would probably affect is adhesive qualities.  What you want is for the thin plastic layer between the two layers of glue to be opaque.  But the adhesive layer covers that.  So you can't paint it without removing the adhesive layer.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2013 at 3:12pm

http://www.butterflyonline.com/inventory.asp?CatId={290C518B-0641-401B-B04C-73C88AEC39B1}

Apply this and then glue the OX LP sheet on top.

Technically that's not legal.  But practically it might work depending on how well the glue adheres to the sheet.

Painting the blade is technically not legal either.  But then having a painting label on the blade surface is also not technically legal. 

From the standpoint of possibly altering playing characteristics and possibly needing to argue the legality, I think painting the blade is the best option.  Using a "paint sheet" is probably the next best option
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 4:10am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Cole Ely used to have some white glue sheets (colestt dot com).  Not sure whether he still has any in stock.  He's in the US.

A forum member gave me one of these glue sheets, which he said he had obtained from Cole.  The sheet works well in hiding the graphics on the blade.  However, the glue sheet was a nightmare to remove when I needed to change rubber.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 5:02am
THanks for all the comments guys!Clap

Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my first post.... the lines are from the wood (the grain & pattern of the cut), not from any graphics in there. The blade is also a combination blade, so the pimples have to go on that particular side. To make it worse, the long pimple is more effective in red, so I have no choice but to use red.Confused

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

A forum member gave me one of these glue sheets, which he said he had obtained from Cole.  The sheet works well in hiding the graphics on the blade.  However, the glue sheet was a nightmare to remove when I needed to change rubber.

I just had a similar problem removing a glue sheet.  I used a blow drier to soften the glue and that made it scrape off fairly easily with a putty knife.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 1:12pm
if you have any old air samples around, they came with glue sheets that are opaque
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my first post.... the lines are from the wood (the grain & pattern of the cut), not from any graphics in there. The blade is also a combination blade, so the pimples have to go on that particular side. To make it worse, the long pimple is more effective in red, so I have no choice but to use red.Confused
I'm not an expert in this area at all - just wondering will the following product help?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

If he doesn't like the look but the bat is legal, I really don't see an issue.  If any, it lies with the owner of the blade. Confused

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:32pm

If he doesn't like the look but the bat is legal, I really don't see an issue.  If any, it lies with the owner of the blade. Confused

Well, that's the problem.  An umpire or referee might very well consider the lines showing through as being illegal.  It's a somewhat fuzzy area. The rules aren't crystal clear on this.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Well, that's the problem.  An umpire or referee might very well consider the lines showing through as being illegal.  It's a somewhat fuzzy area. The rules aren't crystal clear on this.

Any umpires online here ?

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:45pm
I think the fact haggisv noticed the lines - would indicate it would be distracting opponents. At least someone could ask for a ruling during a tournament. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Any umpires online here ?

I am an umpire.  Keep in mind that a player can always appeal an umpire's interpretation to the tournament referee. I gave details on the rules and T4 guidelines that might cause an umpire or referee to make a stink on OOAK forum.   I could argue this one either way - legal or illegal. If pushed, I'd say the rules are not clear enough to say that it is illegal.  But a referee could easily disagree.  Here's my posting from OOAK:

"It is certainly open for debate. I don't think this one is clear. An official might argue that either of these two rules apply.

2.4.6 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other.

Here they might argue that only some portions of the covering are bright red.

2.4.7.1 Slight deviations from continuity of surface or uniformity of colour due to accidental damage or wear may be allowed provided that they do not significantly change the characteristics of the surface.

You could use the above passage above to argue either way. On the one hand, it implies that uniformity of color matters and deviation is only allowed due to wear or accidental damage. On the other, it also suggest that non-uniform color can be tolerated (technically only if from damage or wear) if it does not significantly change the characteristics (playing characteristics implied).

There are also passages in the T4 pamphlet that make it clear that they have a goal of a uniformly colored surface for racket surfaces.

"1.4.3. Sandwich rubber
More than one layer of cellular rubber (sponge) is not permitted, even if the layers are of
the same composition. However, if the top sheet is translucent, then the layer underneath must be uniformly
coloured; it is not permitted for a manufacturer's logo on the lower layer, or on the blade, to show through."

"1. The racket covering
It should be noted in particular that:Authorisation is given to the top sheet plus the top sheet / sponge combination. Red and black top sheets with the same ITTF number or supplier and brand name must have the same geometry, properties, and text (wording and numbering). The surface colours must be uniform. Red and black top sheets of the same brand do not require separate authorisation fees."
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 2:53pm
If he's a tournament player, he should switch to black OX or blade.  

If a club/rec player, who cares ??

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

if you have any old air samples around, they came with glue sheets that are opaque

Thank you Cole!

Yes those are the only I remember like that...never seen any others from other brands. Thanks for the reminder though... I'll see if I have any old samples left.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I think the fact haggisv noticed the lines - would indicate it would be distracting opponents. At least someone could ask for a ruling during a tournament. 

Thank you. yes my friend is concerned about the legality, and wtuber post has outlined this really well. Thumbs Up If it was for myself, I would not bother.
BTW black was not option in this case, as he wants the higher reversal that red offers.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2013 at 6:05am
I thought I might revive this topic to see if anyone else knows of opaque glue sheets. Although I found 1 or 2 old glue sheets to do the job, I'll need more in future, and I've stilkl not found anyone that sells them.... they're all transparent! Cry
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 3:16pm
Arn`t the Giant Dragon ones that come with their lp`s  opaque maybe you can get them direct from Giant Dragon if you have the contact ibfo?
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic