Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Use FAST equipment to improve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 11:37pm
fast or slow 
many will never know
is it better to trial and test
maybe good coaching is best
when the op has long gone
this subject is causing a song
we try to copy our favorite pro's
but it's better to watch our local hero's
the subject has long been forgotten
lets stay on track and stop being rotten

fast or slow many will never know..
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

fast or slow 
many will never know

bravo, bravo Clap
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 3:55am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Today's veterans come from a period with speed glue and the 38mm ball that make any bat +40mm look wimpy. Example, there's no bat (with 40mm) today that can do this

Come on, that is a bit of an exaggeration. Yan An had no problems ripping high sitters from Gionis today, just like Kong did against Syed. 

38mm was quicker through the air, and having played through both eras, I agree with Tinykin.
 What is quicker in modern TT is the tempo, because the 40mm ball is easier to time consistently on pro-active strokes. Nothing matches proper speed glue for power.

A 38mm ball would indeed be quicker through the air than a 40mm ball assuming all other variables - like blade/rubber/player/exact stroke mechanics - remain the same. However, this is not the case. For example, it has been noted that the current generation of top TT players are more athletic than their counterparts from 20 years ago - just like in many other sports. And speedgluing has been subsumed by factory-tuning/boosting - which top pros seem to be doing. So, imho, there is absolutely no hard evidence to conclude that top CNT players are hitting winners today any slower (or with any less "power") than Kong in that video.  

They hit with the same power physically, but the result is less devastating, 38mm ball had a higher spin/speed ratio, especially when powered by VOC based speed glue. Factory tuning/boosting gives about 60 to 80 percent of the true VOC effect, but the 40mm ball, which bounces with a steeper trajectory than the 38mm has allowed players to play with faster blades to make up for the loss of pace, without losing a critical amount of control. The 40mm ball sits up more, but also slows down more rapidly through the air, which is why we have more counter driving rallies, and a trend towards more athletitism, rather than table craft. I know lots of players who have played through both eras, and I have yet to talk to one who thinks that anything modern matches a guided missile coming from a VOC glued set up. If you don't believe me, get down to your local tyre bay and ask for a tin of Tip Top, apply two layers on each side and have a swing, you will find that you can achieve incredible power, with a slower arm. You can't ever use it in competition though, players like myself would spot ( and hear) you a mile away.
The Older I get, The better I was.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 8:52am
You will never know the power of the force young Luke unless you play Sriver Max speed glued to Power Drive or Gergely Carbon. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 10:19am
Maybe we should all use speed glued equipment to practice and improve...

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 10:28am
My favorite was Bryce FX, with enough glue to set off smoke alarms a block away.  It didn't matter what blade you used.

One last thing before leaving this particular subject since it was aired.  Assiduous made a physical threat that got him banned, but he had been warned via PM about some other things he had written that cannot be allowed on this forum, all it seemed in a short period of time after a long stretch of forcefully styled but generally acceptable posting.  If he had not snapped at Next Level, he was going to snap at someone else.  It was I think a matter of time.

I hope he comes back in a better mood. 

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

fast or slow 
many will never know

Very nice! Clap

By the way, I discussed this subject yesterday with Dan Seemiller (as I was attending his camp) and he did not think it was a good idea for a developing or intermediate player to use very fast equipment. Interestingly, he himself uses a BTY Grubba All+ blade (same blade since 30 years).
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My favorite was Bryce FX, with enough glue to set off smoke alarms a block away.  It didn't matter what blade you used.

That's about right LOL Towards the end I was using Dawie inspirit with two layers of speed glue and got more out of it than anything you can do now. The main difference is the huge gear up from touch to power, you really needed the touch with the 38mm ball, modern boosted rubbers are just fast.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

By the way, I discussed this subject yesterday with Dan Seemiller (as I was attending his camp) and he did not think it was a good idea for a developing or intermediate player to use very fast equipment. Interestingly, he himself uses a BTY Grubba All+ blade (same blade since 30 years).

Shhhhhhhhhhh!  You're letting out the secret.  Wink
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:50am
Fast equipment is not necessarily the key to creating a better player. If anything you want developing players to have more control. There are plenty of exercises and drills which can be used to increase reaction time, I don't think faster equipment is the best way to do that.

More touch and control is better when learning and young, once more mature then build power into game and perhaps upgrade to faster equipment.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

saying "don't use too fast equipment, use something slow, with a lot of control" is like saying

"don't use a bugatti, use a beetle, you'll have fewer accidents and the ride will last longer"
LOL
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Bugatti_veyron_in_Tokyo.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg

you could say I was riding a beetle until one day I bought a bugatti and been riding that ever since.
or to say it the way it's supposed to be said "I woke up with a new amultart..."Party

Edited by puppy412 - 12/02/2013 at 11:58am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

So much is in the details.  What did you mean by "very fast equipment"?  What did Dan think you meant?  A TBS?  A Schlager Carbon?  A Korbel?  What levels do you think comprise beginning and intermediate? 1000?  1600? 2200?  I have had the same conversation with high-level coaches here (Huijing Wang, Viktor Subonj) who do not think that reasonable modern equipment -- along the lines of  TBS, Viscaria, or Innerforce ALC, to name three ~OFF  Butterfly blades -- are too fast for the young players they coach at the moment (their students are in the 1600-2200 range currently).  These are players who use somewhat faster equipment themselves.   The answer to these questions would partly depend on the characteristics of the player, what are their strengths, weaknesses, age, footwork, level of play.  No one size fits all. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 1:54pm
I had forgotten Dan Seemiller was still using a BTY A. Grubba ALL+ blade. He could kick most of our butts here so it's a fine example that more modest performing equipment can still be very powerful in the right hands. I'm seriously considering giving up fast setups forever since my body is going in the opposite direction. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 2:21pm
Dan does a tremendous amount of short blocking and is a combination player so I don't think his game should be the template for answering the original question in the context of the modern, offensive looping game.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Dan does a tremendous amount of short blocking and is a combination player so I don't think his game should be the template for answering the original question in the context of the modern, offensive looping game.

He uses the Anti for 'change of direction' so the Grubba makes sense for DS. Not all of us use anti or play like a windshield wiper. LOL
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 3:03pm

the op never said anything about being modern, offensive or that he is a looper, unless you have had organised long term coaching then this modern offensive looping game, then this just does not apply to most of us social players
I think most in here have this dream World fixation that everyone is playing like Ma Long

it is generaly hard trying to find the best gear that suits, so if you do find it stay with it as long as possible
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 3:42pm
I think the default assumption is that the OP is trying to play the modern offensive looping game, even if looping is not a huge part of his game. Most intermediate club/social players believe that they are playing something like this game, and those who are not usually describe their game in detail because they know they have specialized needs. The OP also made other posts in this thread that point in this direction, so this is not just single mindedness on my part.
Cybershape Carbon
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

He uses the Anti for 'change of direction' so the Grubba makes sense for DS. Not all of us use anti or play like a windshield wiper. LOL
Have you seen Dan play or actually played against him? He barely uses his anti and he actually told me that if he uses the anti too much he is generally in trouble. His goal is to loop every ball if possible, . Also, the Grubba All+ blade is not a typical anti blade or windshield blade, I would even go as far as saying that it is not particularly good for anti.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 4:41pm

Have you seen Dan play or actually played against him? He barely uses his anti and he actually told me that if he uses the anti too much he is generally in trouble. His goal is to loop every ball if possible, . Also, the Grubba All+ blade is not a typical anti blade or windshield blade, I would even go as far as saying that it is not particularly good for anti.

I guess it depends on who he's playing and when.  Now or 30 years ago ?  the wiper style was not meant to be a cut, it's a style that worked for other players as well.

I used to use Anti for drop shots and re-direct blocks, it was effective at the time.

Edited by jt99sf - 12/02/2013 at 4:45pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 4:47pm
What jtsf99 said Big smile.

More seriously, everyone who loops usually loops when possible - I am just saying that Dan's game is a short, close to the table game more than anything else.  There is nothing wrong with that, but if you compare how Dan usually plays against 2300+ opposition to most two winged loopers, you will see that there are distinct differences outside the usual short game ( "tablecraft") maneuvers.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/02/2013 at 4:57pm
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 5:00pm

More seriously, everyone who loops usually loops when possible - I am just saying that Dan's game is a short, close to the table game more than anything else.  There is nothing wrong with that, but if you compare how Dan usually plays against 2300+ opposition to most two winged loopers, you will see that there are distinct differences outside the usual short game ( "tablecraft") maneuvers.

when DS was in his prime, I'm sure even a 2300 looper will have trouble looping his anti blocks. 

@NL,  I'll be in Vegas from Dec 17- thru the 21.  Hope to hit a few with you. Big smile

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 5:18pm

when DS was in his prime, I'm sure even a 2300 looper will have trouble looping his anti blocks. 

@NL,  I'll be in Vegas from Dec 17- thru the 21.  Hope to hit a few with you. Big smile

Sure.  The pleasure would be mine.  

And just to let PPP know, I never told jt99sf that I was going to Vegas and I have never met him before.  In fact, we even had a mild tiff when I tried to sell some blades and withdrew the sale because I was confused about how to go about putting pictures online, didn't want to sell for too low a price etc.  And he has never threatened me once with any bodily harm.  Thank God for that.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 5:23pm

And just to let PPP know, I never told jt99sf that I was going to Vegas and I have never met him before.  In fact, we even had a mild tiff when I tried to sell some blades and withdrew the sale because I was confused about how to go about putting pictures online, didn't want to sell for too low a price etc.  And he has never threatened me once with any bodily harm.  Thank God for that.

I only like to kickass on the table and I leave everything on the table.  First round is on me. Big smile

actually you did in a previous post. Embarrassed

Edited by jt99sf - 12/02/2013 at 5:24pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 5:27pm

I only like to kickass on the table and I leave everything on the table.  First round is on me. Big smile

actually you did in a previous post. Embarrassed

Oh, well.  So I am only 50% right on a good day.  But I was right about never meeting you before (I hope)...

And beware - all the pips players I faced at the NA Teams are all complaining about the backhand drives that had them picking up the ball repeatedly...
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 5:45pm

Oh, well.  So I am only 50% right on a good day.  But I was right about never meeting you before (I hope)...

And beware - all the pips players I faced at the NA Teams are all complaining about the backhand drives that had them picking up the ball repeatedly...

you mean you keep missing the table ?? LOLLOL  

I'll move the barriers closer to me. 

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 6:08pm

How he plays has nothing to do with whether his advice is valid, and IMO ex world class players are always worth listening to.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 6:28pm
APW46,

I didn't dispute the advice. I disputed his game being used as an example that supports it. In general, DDreamer has me wanting to test a few things...
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

How he plays has nothing to do with whether his advice is valid, and IMO ex world class players are always worth listening to.

Yep, when people of that level tell me things when they have seen me play, I follow their advice as best as I possibly can.  I ask questions, get clarification, etc.  I made a major major change in my play on the advice of a former top US player.  No regrets even if it took the better part of a year to make the change. 

In this case it's important that the advice is transmitted in such a way that we have a detailed idea of what he thinks.  A one-liner like "very fast equipment" is bad for "developing or intermediate players"  leaves me very much wanting to know exactly what equipment Dan thinks is very fast, and what he means by developing or intermediate players (age, level, style of play).  Our OP is playing with a TBS and wants to switch to a Schlager Carbon.  I have seen a lot of players in the 1900-2250 in my city try something like that, and almost always they decide for themselves that it is a bad idea.  People live and learn.  I think the advice in this case is designed for people contemplating something like that. The TBS itself, though, may or may not be too fast for someone.  And it would be crazy to say that we should all be using Grubba blades.  Note too that playing with a blade that is too slow can cause problems of its own.    
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 7:50pm
If you are an amateur, with no particular ambition, it really doesn't matter. And those juniors in the national coaching systems are almost all using equally fast stuff, so they are on a level playing field in the competitions that matter for them. When they play against adults in the leagues they are going to come unstuck a few times.
I think an ambitious late developer adult is the one who will experience the most problems but at least it keeps the tt economy moving.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 7:54pm
PPP

"True dat" as they say here along the Gulf Coast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic