Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PROTT fake or real?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by m123456 m123456 wrote:

sarcasm only works with like punctuation marks or like in real life. otherwise it's not that easy to tell.

Not really.  I knew immediately that he was being sarcastic.  It was very easy to tell.  

Though to be fair, having some sense of the personality of the person doing the posting helps a LOT.  Itcan be very hard to detect sarcasm if you don't know the person very well or at all.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I used to play with an otherwise perfectly normal and decent guy who had a strange personality trait of not understanding sarcasm. It didn't matter who was making the joke or what it was about, he would always take it literally. I thought he was unique, until now.

By the way, is Waldner the greatest player of all time? And is boosting immoral? Chinese loop?  Do you miss celluloid balls?

Being sarcastically challenged is neither particular to humankind in general or even to some members of this forum.  Let's see how you rate on the Mann Sarcasm Meter, designed for me by my faculty adviser at Ohio State (might have made Phi Bate, except that Richard Belzer was in the same classes all the way from Elementary Sarcasm 101 to Advanced Sarcasm 606 that I was.)  

Is Waldner the greatest player of all time?  Oh hell yes.  Barna, Bergmann, Rozeanu wouldn't have a prayer of beating the mighty Waldi, even if he didn't use hidden serves, drew down with a Barna Personal, Bergmann Popular, or whatever rig Angelica used.  Even with a 3-ply Hock No. 74, he'd have crucified Miles and Reisman.

Is boosting immoral?  Oh hell no.  Everybody does it, even to their frictionless epoxidized long pips.  Boosting, if you lather on the right product, is almost as effective as speed gluing was, and questions of morality aside, it probably won't kill you.

Chinese loop?  Good God no.  They're all to a man and woman flat hitters; have been since the days of Rong Guo-tuan.

Do I miss celluloid balls?  Well yeah, i guess I do.  But I still enjoy playing pocket pool with my own.  They're reasonably round, just the right weight, and dress out at an even 38.864570624 mm. (more or less).

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/04/2017 at 11:44pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
m123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2017 at 10:05pm
damn the level u guys can bring a topic to something completely different, reminds me the the US presidential elections last year and trump's long rallies. get it
Feng Shuei
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2017 at 12:11am

sarcasm only works with like punctuation marks or like in real life. otherwise it's not that easy to tell.

Ok. Here is the sarcsm answer key. The original poster was serious, but asked a question that is asked here about once every month and the answer never changes. Consequently every one of my comments on this thread was sarcastic. For example I wrote one from home in the US and at the time Liu Shiwen was not nearby. She was in China. The sarcasm in the Tenergy 05 question (and the others too) is that at one point we had one new thread every two weeks on that.

I won't even begin to attempt to explain Berndt. He is like dadaist performance art.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2017 at 12:25am

damn the level u guys can bring a topic to something completely different, reminds me the the US presidential elections last year and trump's long rallies. get it

Mingbai le, xin pengyou.  (Got it, new friend).  You will soon find that the more you post to table tennis forums such as this one that many threads will go completely off the rails and into uncharted new and irrelevant swamps yet to be drained, wherein lurk the specters of sarcasm, invective (mild to quite insulting), impertinence and sometimes even interesting ad hoc ruminations that have nothing to do with table tennis or feng shui, for that matter.

It happens all the time.  Table tennis players who post to forums can run the gamut from insightful and informative to el sarcastico extremo to borderline wacko with everything in between.  It's just the nature of the beast.  All efforts to tame the Wild West of pong tt forums have heretofore proven unsuccessful.  But if you want to take on the job of being the new Marshal in Dodge, by all means go for it, and best of luck.  Just don't forget about table tennis' boot hill, where many a timid table tennis soul rests in uneasy peace.
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2017 at 12:44am
(Baal)  
I won't even begin to attempt to explain Berndt. He is like dadaist performance art.

Who's your dada, Baal?

bmann1942
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic