FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Use FAST equipment to improve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:23pm
Nittaku is not Korean.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

No it's a horrible idea.
The problem with fast equipment is that often times it's very hard to figure out what you did wrong.
A lot of players end up developing a very passive stroke - because that's the only way they can keep the ball on the table.

I'd say the best is to use a medium-hard to medium sponge style rubber that is NOT a tensor.
Also stay away from carbon blades. A 5 ply all wood blade is best to learn on.

You want to develop touch and the correct technique, and the best way to do that is to use moderately slow stuff.

My friend used a LKT Instinct + IQUL on FH/BH and easily made 1600 on that setup.

He only recently changed to a much faster setup (Xiom Aria + H3 + Moon Pro) and is now 1860.
But he developed the basis of his technique using a very slow setup.

Here is the gigantic glaring problem with your argument.  You don't have a comparison group.  What if your friend started with Xiom Aria + H3 when he was 1400?  Where would he be now?  You think he would not have reached his current level.  But you are simply assuming the result.  You present anecdotal evidence based on one guy and you have no comparison group.  I can tell you that I have seen several people go from 1200 to 1800 reasonably quickly using composite blades most of the time.  They have had access to good coaching and they worked at it. 

Having said that, it could very well be that 1600 might be the stage at which one might one to speed up the setup a bit, but I still don't accept the absolute prohibition against certain kinds of composite blade for a beginner (let's say 1400) who is determined to get better.

The difficulty in figuring out what you did wrong has nothing to do with the equipment your are using.  That problem is addressed by seeing yourself play on video and through the eyes and explanations of a coach.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:29pm
... but Tak-ku is TT in Korean and a real joy to 'em. haha Nitaku... means Japanese TT in Japanese what a great choice to name your TT equipment company!
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Having said that, it could very well be that 1600 might be the stage at which one might one to speed up the setup a bit, but I still don't accept the absolute prohibition against certain kinds of composite blade for a beginner who is determined to get better.

The difficulty in figuring out what you did wrong has nothing to do with the equipment your are using.  That problem is addressed by seeing yourself play on video and through the eyes and explanations of a coach.

Roger that Baal.

I've seen some go from newb to 1600 in a couple years using a Schlager Carbon, the nighmare blade for a newb according to pundits. The equipment has very little to do with reading spin, tactics, courage, anticipation, movement, balance, recovery, knowing when and how to impact the ball and the like. Sure, it counts for a lot, but if a player is struggling with these things, the pundit approved ALL+ blade helps him little. Yeah, an OFF+ blade encourages a new player without coaching to hit "wrong", but heck, just about anyone without coaching does "wrong" stuff forever.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:49pm
Thanks for all the replies. This is short version of what I typed and lost.

Not actually asking as newbie but as someone stuck in internediate level. Realize tt not just about hitting hard but juat trying to change one thing to get out of rut. Anyway speed is important because it gives opponent less time and causes weak returns. But my aim is not to get more speed because you can do that by swining harder. My idea of changing to fast equipment is to get same speed without swinging hard to improve recovery for next shot. Im thinking Schlager carbon level (current blade: TBS) Or maybe there is better thing to change than equipment speed but that's another topic.

Edited by Pushdeep - 11/26/2013 at 10:16pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:51pm
One argument  the pious advocates of very slow equipment for developing players is that the faster stuff stunts growth of power in developing players because they don't have to generate it from legs, presumably because it all comes from blade.

One could ask if the shoe isn't on  the other foot.  If you can get away with all sorts of technical errors and imprecise "floppy" strokes because pretty much everything you do results in a ball that stays on the table (because it has no pace mind you) --- is that not also a crutch of sorts?  I would say so.

If you gave a Joola Rossi Emotion or a TBS to a 1600 player, with a couple of sheets of Vega, you would not ruin them for life.  They would improve with practice and good coaching and good competition, in direct proportion to the availability of those things.  And the good thing is, that no matter how good they got, they really wouldn't need anything faster.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 9:54pm
I just thought of something.  I remember when Timothy Wang was about 9 years old, and about 1200 on a good day and he was playing with an old Keyshot that his dad Sam gave him.  (By the way, he was always a really cool little kid, even if he wasn't really convinced he wanted to take it seriously then).  Now he uses a TB-ALC.  All in all, not really that different a blade.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

Not actually asking as newbie but as someone stuck in internediate level. Realize tt not just about hitting hard but juat trying to change one thing to get out of rut. Anyway speed is important because it gives opponent less time and causes weak returns. But my aim is not to get more speed because you can do that by swining harder. My idea of changing to fast equipment is to get same speed without swinging hard to improve recovery for next shot. Im thinking Schlager carbon level (current blade: TBS) Or maybe there is better thing to change than equipment speed but that's another topic.

That particular change probably won't work.  TBS is pretty fast blade already.  Several people I know who have tried that particular change always switched back fairly soon, including players 2100+. 

You might want to take a count of what you are doing to get better (and why you are stuck).  How many times a week do you play?  Do you play regularly with people better than you?  What are your practice habits?  Do you drill?  Videotape yourself?  Get coaching?  Practice your serve and return and have an idea what you might need to do to make those better?  Some equipment changes might have subtle effects on your overall level.  Asking more than that is unrealistic.  It's just the way things are.  

Also the sport is a game of plateaus.  Sometimes you stay at a certain level for awhile even if you do all the things to improve.  And then suddenly you get better.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:04am
You know, if mocking me is the price I have to pay for getting rid of posts that present some ridiculous story for real evidence it was well worth it!

And the people that quote posts that are multiple-page-long, those are exactly the people who shouldn't post at all. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:08am

Not sure what your rating is, but the way I think about TT is what I call levers of power.

1.Toes/ankles.
2. Knees.
3.Waist/abs
4. Shoulder
5. Elbow
6. Wrist
7. Fingers

Usually, when someone is looking for more power/speed in a stronger stroke, it is time to add power to looking at which of these levers is utilized, or which of the current levers being used can be made stronger by physical fitness.  (The one lever that should not be used that often is the shoulder - it is too unstable and prone to injury.  The most under utilized levers are the elbow and the wrist, though all can be underutilized depending on how a player plays.) .

For example, doing your strokes with 3 lbs weights can help you get some more power.  Using another lever with enhanced timing does help as well.  Sometimes, people lose power by brushing the ball much too lightly rather than going into it fairly open with a thick contact and a wrapping motion, especially when the ball is high.  Finally, power is not all that is needed to win - sometimes setting up the opponent by bringing them in so that even moderately fast shots are harder to defend/counterloop off the table is one strategy that doesn't require that much power.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:12am
Now on topic.

Everybody keeps hangin the straw man over and over. 

The fact that fast equipment has worse control is taken for granted when this is actually the real point of argument.

Instead everybody and their cousin stood in line to tell me that fast equipment is bad for you because it is more difficult to use (because it has worse control). You know what I wonder? Do u even have the intelligence to hand the straw man consciously, or you just don'w know whats really going on.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:14am
When I began playing, I was always unsatisfied with the speed of my blades. I switched to faster and faster equipment. Training regularly, I seemed to have no consistency issues in training. I did miss a lot more during match play.

Over the past 2 years or so, I have been slowing down my equipment. I went down to Off, Off-, and finally to All+. I learned how to create the power myself, rather than having the blade provide it for me, except this time a lot of shots in a very wide power range consistently land on the table.

All I can say is that I've gained a lot of appreciation and respect for all those ALL, ALL+ blades out there that I have previously considered unusable.
Back to table tennis...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Now on topic.

Everybody keeps hangin the straw man over and over. 

The fact that fast equipment has worse control is taken for granted when this is actually the real point of argument.

Instead everybody and their cousin stood in line to tell me that fast equipment is bad for you because it is more difficult to use (because it has worse control). You know what I wonder? Do u even have the intelligence to hand the straw man consciously, or you just don'w know whats really going on.

Don't worry - I will come to Chicago next year and teach you how to use your equipment (so you can stop making the remarks that come from the first three letters of your handle).
Cybershape Carbon
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:22am
Forgot about the guy with the car. He was kind enough to post a video (didn't watch, sorry) to help my slow understanding with some visual aids. I don't know if you have driven a decent sports car yourself but i want to tell you something, and you can verify this yourself: when it comes to control, fast cars are FAR SUPERIOR. You should drive a Porsche just once in your life and come here and share with us how it compares to your camry in terms of control. Heck, if you do it I might just read your story.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

When I began playing, I was always unsatisfied with the speed of my blades. I switched to faster and faster equipment. Training regularly, I seemed to have no consistency issues in training. I did miss a lot more during match play.

Over the past 2 years or so, I have been slowing down my equipment. I went down to Off, Off-, and finally to All+. I learned how to create the power myself, rather than having the blade provide it for me, except this time a lot of shots in a very wide power range consistently land on the table.

All I can say is that I've gained a lot of appreciation and respect for all those ALL, ALL+ blades out there that I have previously considered unusable.

Aaah... i know what he's doing, he's just messing with me, am I right? : ) 
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Not sure what your rating is, but the way I think about TT is what I call levers of power.

1.Toes/ankles.
2. Knees.
3.Waist/abs
4. Shoulder
5. Elbow
6. Wrist
7. Fingers

Usually, when someone is looking for more power/speed in a stronger stroke, it is time to add power to looking at which of these levers is utilized, or which of the current levers being used can be made stronger by physical fitness.  (The one lever that should not be used that often is the shoulder - it is too unstable and prone to injury.  The most under utilized levers are the elbow and the wrist, though all can be underutilized depending on how a player plays.) .

For example, doing your strokes with 3 lbs weights can help you get some more power.  Using another lever with enhanced timing does help as well.  Sometimes, people lose power by brushing the ball much too lightly rather than going into it fairly open with a thick contact and a wrapping motion, especially when the ball is high.  Finally, power is not all that is needed to win - sometimes setting up the opponent by bringing them in so that even moderately fast shots are harder to defend/counterloop off the table is one strategy that doesn't require that much power.

Great points... another one I would like to add that a lot of beginners miss is simply timing. It's not always about muscles and brute force. Want more speed without swinging harder? Get to the ball quicker and take it off the bounce.

Edited by Rack - 11/27/2013 at 12:34am
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:32am

Forgot about the guy with the car. He was kind enough to post a video (didn't watch, sorry) to help my slow understanding with some visual aids. I don't know if you have driven a decent sports car yourself but i want to tell you something, and you can verify this yourself: when it comes to control, fast cars are FAR SUPERIOR. You should drive a Porsche just once in your life and come here and share with us how it compares to your camry in terms of control. Heck, if you do it I might just read your story.

Haha, Bulgarian white haired boy.  Just know that being smart and nosy has nothing to do with how well you play TT.  At least, I put myself out there so people could see how I play.  Making noise because your broke 1700 once is pathetic.
Cybershape Carbon
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:34am

Not at All! I was merely responding to the OP!

But I must admit that your response is quite cute :)
Back to table tennis...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:34am

No, he's not.  I've actually seen Leshxa use those blades he is talking about at my club.  He used the Yasaka Sweeper and then went to the Waldner All Play when he didn't like the Yasaka sweeper durability.  But he is a full bodied looper - I am not as physical with my game.  Leshxa has beaten 2000+ players with those slow blades.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/27/2013 at 12:35am
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

Great points... another one I would like to add that a lot of beginners miss is simply timing. It's not always about muscles and brute force. Want more speed without swinging harder? Get to the ball quicker and take it off the bounce.

I was trying to get at the timing portion with my point about opening the racket more vs brushing the ball, but you are right - TIMING is the most important thing in the stroke and should be identified by name it for what it is.  Taking the ball later after it has lost power is good on some strokes, but hitting harder with a slower blade can be done by taking the ball earlier.

In fact, the point that I have been trying to make is that the timing required to use fast rackets is too precise for most beginners to get right.  But once they understand it with a slower blade, I do not think it is that hard to transfer it to a faster blade.  But I might be wrong about that.
Cybershape Carbon
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:39am
This thread...I keep going back to it just for the sake of laughing at certain people here LOL
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:42am

No, he's not.  I've actually seen Leshxa use those blades he is talking about at my club.  He used the Yasaka Sweeper and then went to the Waldner All Play when he didn't like the Yasaka sweeper durability.  But he is a full bodied looper - I am not as physical with my game.  Leshxa has beaten 2000+ players with those slow blades.

Actually it was Yasaka Sweden Classic, not the sweeper. Although I am not an expert. But the funny thing was that Bojan Tokic took my blade to hit a few shots when I went down to Georgia for a training camp and gave me a look like "What a hell is this slow thing" :). I am sure it was extremely slow for his liking. :)
Back to table tennis...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:45am

Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

I was trying to get at the timing portion with my point about opening the racket more vs brushing the ball, but you are right - TIMING is the most important thing in the stroke and should be identified by name it for what it is.  Taking the ball later after it has lost power is good on some strokes, but hitting harder with a slower blade can be done by taking the ball earlier.

In fact, the point that I have been trying to make is that the timing required to use fast rackets is too precise for most beginners to get right.  But once they understand it with a slower blade, I do not think it is that hard to transfer it to a faster blade.  But I might be wrong about that.

Sure I would agree with that. As ZA said in a earlier post... it's all about "feel". In order to understand it... they need to feel it repeatedly and put that feeling into muscle memory. Unfortunately, most of the times using a very fast hard blade really hinders the amount of feel/feedback they get so it takes longer for them to grasp the concept.

Edited by Rack - 11/27/2013 at 12:46am
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:46am

Is this good idea? Use very fast equipment. This will shorten your strokes, so your recovery time improves. So you improve.

Oh yeah. I can't imagine playing with ALL+. Gotta go OFF++++.
Faster = better.
Heavier = better.
$400+ = Thumbs Up

But I won't guarantee result LOL
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:46am

Actually it was Yasaka Sweden Classic, not the sweeper. Although I am not an expert. But the funny thing was that Bojan Tokic took my blade to hit a few shots when I went down to Georgia for a training camp and gave me a look like "What a hell is this slow thing" :). I am sure it was extremely slow for his liking. :)

Thanks for the correction - I think Sweeper got confused with Sweden as I went through a Defensive Blade search once myself (our coach actually convinced me to get back to OFF blades - I love the Rossi Emotion now, though I miss my tennis racket sometimes).
Cybershape Carbon
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 12:53am
Poor Sweden Classic...so much abuse! LOL Actually it's not as slow as one may think. I put 2 sheets of T64 on mine and it held it's own for speed.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with this.  While a coach does help,  I believe there are distinct feelings that one should get when a ball contacts the blade that can help with timing the stroke.  I have found those feelings much harder to discern when using low feedback carbon blades, and much easier to discern when using wooden blades.  That is why I am for slower setups because they let you understand the feeling of what happens, and then you can find it in faster blades where it is more subtle but still there.  If you start with faster blades, you may never even realize there is something to be found.
Cybershape Carbon
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 1:59am
I'm gonna change my mind on this subject.  Go ahead, buy the fast friggin crap that has the juiciest marketing hype that you can find.  I will continue to enjoy watching ya dump serve returns into the net and send loops off the end of the table.

Have fun everyone.  Good night!  Thumbs Up
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 3:26am

damn i did the same stupid mistake as you do,jumping straight away on a off++ blade with off+ rubers and speed glue...,10 years ago,now i appreciate all+ and off- Blades much much more
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2013 at 4:25am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

I think that one should play with the fastest equipment that you can push, block, and return serve with satisfactory confidence.
If you cant do those shots well, it wont matter what the speed of drive and kill is.

This.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic